Hotpot mod installation issue

Hotpot mod installation issue

by Przemek Krakowian -
Number of replies: 5

When adding the hotpot module to Moodle 3.1 (after a recent upgrade) I ran into the following issue: 

error/debug/modulenotexist

On following up on this error, I learned that the page for this error does not exist (moodle.org). The same install on another server went without a glitch. The other Moodle was a clean install, so I am assuming that the problem is server related. Below, the particulars of this error:particulars

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Przemek Krakowian

Re: Hotpot mod installation issue

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

That shouldn't happen. This error is generated if the modules upgrade script calls the function to update the savepoint and finds that the module doesn't exist in the module database

You might just be unlucky but you probably did something strange while attempting to upgrade it. Does the module exist in the list of plugins?

In reply to Howard Miller

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

And curiously, I understand that this bit of code is only run when upgrading from a Moodle 1.9 site to (at the most) Moodle 2.2, so something very unusual is going on.

The most surprizing part of this puzzle is that the HotPot upgrade should only be called if Moodle knows about the HotPot module, and yet the message implies the opposite surprise

Perhaps, a long time ago when your site was Moodle 1.9, you used to have the HotPot module - it was a standard module in Moodle 1.9 after all - yet since then you have not used it, and now, having reached Moodle 3.1, you are suddenly trying to install it anew. Does that sound right?

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Przemek Krakowian -

Last week out IT person in charge of the server upgraded our Moodle from 1.9 to 3.1. We use a lot of hotpots for interactive tasks, and while we are not so much into knowing the grades, we like to know if all of the students actually participate. So, yes we used the hotpot plugin in the 1.9. When the upgrade was performed, the hotpot was not on the list of modules, so I downloaded the zip file and ftp-ed it to the mod directory after unzipping to hotpot mod. On admin login, I was greeted with a message saying that the database needed to be updated and the hotpot mod was going to be installed - the usual thing one might expect; in fact the same happened when I ftp-rd the mod to another server (with a clean copy of 3.1) I then removed the mod and replaced it with the mod from the working server along with the tables I exported from there (I know, unorthodox but I thought worth a try). Didn't work, still the same screen saying plugins need updating and when I proceed, the error I posted earlier.

by Przemek Krakowian -

Thanks guys, but I got it sorted:

I started poking in the database and found that in the modules (mdl_modules) table there was no hotpot entry (go figure!)

After adding the entry ( I went for cron value 60 and visible 1), I reloaded the page clicked on update database and got the usual success report and was redirected to the settings screen and now it all seems to be fine.

Best,

Przemek

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Przemek Krakowian -

I think this could be used by moodle.org as the missing help page I ran into. Except, some/most Moodle admins have no database access I guess.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)