Theme: Essential - How to customise top menu

Theme: Essential - How to customise top menu

by Mike Beriault -
Number of replies: 5

I have seen older threads answering this question, but none of the replies seem to apply to moodle 3.1 with the matching version of Essential Release 3.1.1.0 (Build: 2016061709)

I am trying to remove the links form the user menu here:

Top Menu

There is a theme setting for this, but whether i leave it blank or remove line by line it doesn't make a difference:

user menu

I have purged my cache but that had no change. 

On a possibly related note I am also trying to add an rss feed to the frontpage. It shows up fine in Admin. When I login as a user it does not display. I have gone through Define Roles testing all the combos under Auth user, User and Student but no change.

Any ideas on where else I should look or change? Thanks in advance

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Beriault

Re: Theme: Essential - How to customise top menu

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

'customusermenuitems' was invented after Essential implemented its menu.  Thus has its own (and potentially better version) in '/theme/essential/classes/output/core_renderer.php'.

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

In answer to your RSS Feed question you may need to check User permissions to view blocks.

Here is an interesting article in relation to using RSS Feeds to engage students which I thought may also help.

http://www.howtomoodle.com/blog/moodle-tips-using-moodle-rss-feeds-engage-students/

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Mike Beriault -

Thank you both for the replies, Gareth that gave me the file I was looking for, for anyone stumbling on this thread, I did a ctrl-f on Badges, down around line 1300 I started commenting out the lines I didn't want to appear and it worked out perfectly.&nbsp

for the rss blocks, under Admin - Users-Permissions- Define Roles I see:

Add a new RSS feeds block to Dashboard

Add a new remote RSS feeds block

Manage any RSS feeds

Manage own RSS feeds

I don't actually see a view RSS feed permissions but will keep looking.

I have also modified the permissions on the block itself and added every role, but no go. Will report back when I figure it out.

by Mike Beriault -

For anyone else who gets stuck on blocks on the dashboard, it wasn't permissions for me, it was in here

• This allows a user to set which content (course overview, calendar, blocks) appears on the Dashboard for all users in Administration> Site administration > Appearance > Default Dashboard page

Setting the block in there solved the problem.

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Glad it all worked out well!

Cheers

Mary