Grade notifications sent not immediately but once per hour

Grade notifications sent not immediately but once per hour

by Zhivko Z -
Number of replies: 8

Hello guys,

I have problem with grade notifications sent to students.

I noticed that they always get sent in bulk once per each hour... For example, if I submit grades at 8:20, 8:25 and 8:40 - the notifications for all three of them get sent at 9:15. And the next ones would be sent at 10:15, 11:15 etc. This makes me think that there is a setting for this but I cannot find it.  

I'm using 3.1.2. All other emails work well now. All my settings are good - assignment, assignment activity, grading, email and messaging. Is there a setting somewhere, which would make the grade notifications sent immediately instead of once per hour?

Would you please help?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Zhivko Z

Re: Grade notifications sent not immediately but once per hour

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

You might check your scheduled task in site admin settings/server/scheduled tasks

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Zhivko Z -
Scheduled Tasks

Thank you for your response, Emma.

I opened the Scheduled Tasks and they were all set to Default. Tried to play with some configurations but no result.

For example, here I changed the minute setting of Background processing for messaging from 35 to * and no effect.

Also, I noticed that a lot has happened at 11:15 but I hardly see any minute settings setup for 15.

Which one I should change? Is there a main one somewhere, which makes several things run at minute 15, and overwrites these settings?

In reply to Zhivko Z

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Yes, on your server, your cron is probably set to run every 15 minutes.  

by Zhivko Z -

Awesome!

I went to my hosting cPanel and edited the only cron job I saw. The minutes were set to 15, and I changed that to *

It works like a charm now, what a relieve smile

Thank you so much Emma, you are the best!

In reply to Zhivko Z

by Emma Richardson -

Do realize though that that might slow your server down to have cron running continually.  

by Zhivko Z -

Emma, I had set the cron job for every 2 min. However, it turned out that the hosting provider requires a min of 30min for cron jobs...

Is there any other way to speed up the email grade notifications to students??

In reply to Zhivko Z

by Emma Richardson -

Switch hosts?  

I wonder if the app notifications are based on cron or not - that might be a work around.  Download the Moodle app and see if that comes through quicker.  I know we are an every thing in an instant world but if you are tied by your host to 30 minutes, then they might just have to wait..

by Zhivko Z -

Emma,

I downloaded the app, and enabled it. Thanks for suggesting it.

I can see the assignment submissions there but cannot grade them... Is there any setting for that?? I saw somewhere that grading is enabled for the new mobile app, so it should be possible. Would you please advise?

Thank you.