Regarding upgrade to 3.1.2

Regarding upgrade to 3.1.2

by frooty y -
Number of replies: 5

Can i directly upgrade from 1.9 to 3.1

will there be any problem?

or do i have to do step by step from 1.9 to 2 and so on to 3..

if not install and starting from scartch which one would be better,can you suggest.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to frooty y

Re: Regarding upgrade to 3.1.2

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Not direct, no.

The upgrading FAQ shows you the required paths you must take. You should also ensure you upgrade all of your plugins to the same version in each step.

mike

In reply to Mike Churchward

by frooty y -

okay...is it better to upgrade from 1.9 to 3.1.2

or install and start from scartch

what would you suggest and why, in which case it takes more effort or can cause problems.

In reply to frooty y

by Richard Oelmann -

That depends on the amount of content you have and how much it would take to recreate it or bring it across.

Personally, unless its a huge site, I would go with the fresh install, but others may have different opinions.

In reply to frooty y

by Mike Churchward -

Honestly, it would be better to start from scratch. That ensures any legacy problems and bloat are removed.

But, starting from scratch means you lose all of your historical data, so you need to decide if that's a factor.

mike

In reply to Mike Churchward

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I agree with you, Mike.

But what I did in my own case was to backup my 1.9.  Then, I reinstalled 1.9 on my MAMP system so that I could still easily access the historical information.  I also reinstalled 1.9 on my projection server but in its own folder, https://mydomain.com/moodle19, just to be able to access my old data from the Internet.