save and view next button

save and view next button

by Melvin Shantz -
Number of replies: 7

Am using Moodle 3.1 - (3.1.1+ (Build: 20160817)

For assignments, the "save and view next" feature when scoring does not seem to exist. It was a totally convenient feature. And then there is a new dialogue box worked into the mix creating multiple clicks between assignments. Am I missing something in a setting somewhere? 

Or would an upgrade to 3.1.2+ (Build: 20160929) resolve this?

Or should I just move away using assignments and use quiz essay question or file upload when I want to be able to move easily from assignment to assignment?

Or is there something else to be aware of?

Tx in advance,

Mel

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Melvin Shantz

Re: save and view next button

by Melvin Shantz -

Still hoping that a response will come along.

Switching from student to student is really tedious at this point. The order they list at the top right drop down menu is different from the order on the page.

I realize that there is some complication here as switching from group to group has been added to the complication if I am reading the discussion in the tracker adequately.

My work around right now is to go to the grading page and click on the Grade button for a student. Then I copy the URL and click back to the list. Then I paste the URL into a new tab in the browser.

Am hoping for a more streamlined technique like Save and View Next offered.

Tx

Mel

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Mel,

My work around has been to use the Grade Me block plugin. I add one copy of the block on my front page and set it so it shows up on Any page. If you can't add to the front page, adding it in a course with it set to show on Any course page, will work.

Now, anywhere I'm at in my Moodle site, depending on the context, I see a link to any student needing something graded. Grade me will provide links to both new and old version of assignment, databases, forums, glossaries and quizzes. Before I retired, I even created a patch and my own plugins for it that made it also work with the Journal and Podcast activities.

When actually grading someone, the block shows any other student needing grading for the same activity, and I can go to any one of them with just one click. At any other location, it usually takes two clicks simply because of the number of activities being shown.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Melvin Shantz -

Thanks Al for responding. I am going to look into the Grade Me plugin. It seems that it is keeping up with the recent versions of Moodle. Is that your impression? No problems with it?

I have also figured out another work around. It is still four clicks from assignment to assignment but handy enough. I hope the graphic below is adequate enough to explain this work around.

I find myself wondering what people are doing so differently that they don't miss the "save and view next" button. I find myself considering greater use of the essay and file upload test question instead of assignment. I realize that there are a whole lot of nice options coming along in the assignment module. It seems to be very much in transition to some very promising options. But I have 140 students and need to get through the grading of some things fairly quickly sometimes.

Mel

by Melvin Shantz -

Just to say that the little approach above for moving between assignments does stall on me sometimes. Maybe every 10 assignments. I just do F5 refresh and am back in business.

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Mel,

Yes, Grade Me does seem to be keeping up with the recent Moodle versions, but since I've retired from teaching, I freely admit I don't test it as rigorously as I used to, for each new version. Having said that, even with the old "save and view next" button I found myself almost always using Grade Me as it usually only took one or two clicks to grade anything that needed grading, from where ever I was in Moodle.

If you don't have it installed but would like to try it out, send me an email, drachels at drachels dot com for details on how to access one of my dev sites.

In reply to AL Rachels

by AL Rachels -

Oops, spoke too soon. The current version of Grade Me does appear to have a bug...not a deal breaker, but something to be aware of. I've just noticed that using the new 3.1.0.1 version of Grade Me, that if I click on a checkmark in the Grade Me block to go grade a student, then exit the grading page without actually giving a grade, that student is no longer listed in the Grade Me block as needing to be graded.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Melvin Shantz -

So thanks Al for helping me to sort this out. There was a bit of off-discussion board exchange that led to clarification.

I wasn't seeing the arrow beside the name that lets me move easily to the next student for correction due to the theme I was using. I switched the theme to clean and there they were. Al picked up on this indicating that anytime he doesn't see something that he thinks he should, he changes his theme to "clean" to see if the theme is the problem. I was using the decaf theme which I find very easy on the eyes. This is the first time it (or any theme for that matter) has caused me a problem.

So to sum up when correcting an assignment, click on the little filter icon for the options you want. Then move from student to student using the arrows. Provide feedback and score and click on save. Then remove the dialogue box confirming the save and move on to the next student. A save and view next button is no longer needed.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)