Scheduled backup failed to execute

Scheduled backup failed to execute

by Centre Informatique -
Number of replies: 2

Hi,

I'm trying to make automatic backup working. I've setup the information on the backup.php page as I need it.

When I go to history, I can see that the status of backup if failed. If I click on the topic to see what happen, I can see that there is "no log founds".

Can someone explain me where I'm wrong ? Is there another method to backup the whole site (this method should allow restore) ?

Regards

HegMS

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Centre Informatique

Re: Scheduled backup failed to execute

by Timothy Takemoto -

Dear HegMS

Stabbing in the dark...sometimes the zipping process of the backup can run out of memory. If you are not using a resident zip program then I suggest that you use one if you can. In the detailed settings of your moodle there is a place to set a path to a zip-ping program in your server. On my university LAMP (or BSD AMP) it is

/usr/local/bin/zip 

If you do not set a path to the zipper then php routines are used to zip the backup files, and when coures are large, these use a lot of memory, so that sometimes it can time out part of the way through the process.

The above has worked for some. But the problem may be elsewhere.

Another method of backing up the database is to use mysql (or the database that you are using ) or the database admin tool, mysql admin, which is available as an optional download to dump the database tables. I have been recommended to use 'the create dump tables' option when taking a backup of my database.

There are also a couple of routines on the forums for dumping zipping and sending the database to the administrator via email. I use one, but it does not seem to respond to the cron call that I am using. I can get it to send me the database if I ping the routine myself.

Restoring mammoth databases is a bit more difficult because again they often time out.  If you paste the database in chunks it works.

Tim

In reply to Centre Informatique

Re: Scheduled backup failed to execute

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi,

just to remember that, to make scheduled COURSE backups to work, you must have Moodle cron running properly. See Installation Docs to learn how to enable it. Perhaps it's too trivial but, as you said that there aren't detailed logs available, it could be caused because the cron isn't running in your server (else you should see something there).

Ciao smile