Hide permalink to post?

Hide permalink to post?

by Chuck Sharp -
Number of replies: 4

Haven't had any luck searching for posts about disabling permalinks within moodle.  Anyone have experience with this?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chuck Sharp

Re: Hide permalink to post?

by Andrew Lyons -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Chuck,

The permalinks were added to Moodle in MDL-47365 and there is currently no standard way to remove them.

They are shown in several places:

• The Moodle UI when displaying forum posts
  • Regular notifications
  • Daily digest notifications

You can remove them from the notifications by updating the relevant template for your theme; but to remove them from the standard UI, you will need to modify mod/forum/lib.php (which we do not generally recommend).

Can I ask why you want to remove them? These were of the oft-requested features in the forum for many years.

Andrew

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Andrew Lyons

by Chuck Sharp -

Thank you for the quick reply, Andrew.

We're using moodle for a single course on information security and the director wanted to make the format as simple as possible, with the least amount of links for anyone to get confused over.  It's not a major concern, it was just a request from upper management.

While we're on the subject of things not recommended, is there anyway to disable the link to view a users profile? ie. clicking on a user's name takes you to their profile.

Thanks again,

Chuck

In reply to Chuck Sharp

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Chuck, I can appreciate the desire for simplicity.  The "permalink" feature, however, is subtle but extremely useful to discussions.  It allows you to capture the permalink to any discussion post and reference it elsewhere, which then gets the user to directly go to a particular post.  I use it all the time, such as "See Chuck's original post in this discussion topic."  This feature is not in any other major LMS.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Chuck Sharp -

Hi Rick,

I can definitely see the usefulness in the permalink feature, but with simplicity in mind we do not intend on using any of the discussion features.  Exclusive features like this make Moodle what it is, the only suggestion I could really make would be to add the ability to turn those features off for situations such as ours.  Again, it's not a deal breaker.  Thanks for the feedback.

Chuck