Repositories

List all repository files in folder or block

Picture of Emma Richardson
List all repository files in folder or block
Documentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

I am trying to find a way to list all files that are in a repository in a block (preferably) or a folder resource.  

I am using repositories that are autoupdating with course recordings and need a way to share the contents of the entire (file system) repository with students on the course page.  Selecting the files manually does not work as the files change daily.

Hope someone out there has a solution for me.  Currently on 3.1.1.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Ken Task
Re: List all repository files in folder or block
Particularly helpful Moodlers

Might help to know what 'repository' you are using/talking about.

No, don't have an answer ... not even a wild suggestion .. .but in initial contemplation the above was the first question that came to mind - what repo?

In order to have links be generated automagically, however, would think there would be a known something concerning the files/links ... lIke Moodle backups that are made daily ... one might know that by option choices the file name will begin with 'backup' and have YYYYMMDDHHSS in it's file name (ending with .mbz).

Not sure there is any moodle tool that searches 'repos' like that that also generates a link to the most recent addition so you might be looking a developing something for /local/ and of your own making.

If repo is seachable via command line, a cron script that runs a scan and also dumps to an HTML file that contains only the link to the most recent.   In Moodle, that HTML file is linked to in an HTML block.    Something like that.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

It is just a file system repository - they are mp4 files.  I just need a way to create a list of the files in there with links. Actually an RSS feed would be perfect but not sure how to create that as Moodle's built in RSS does not appear to cover repositories.  

You can create it fairly easily in php but I was hoping to be able to incorporate into the course a little easier without having to create the files and then iframe them in or something - that might be clunky.  

Picture of Ken Task
Particularly helpful Moodlers

So we're getting a little closer ... Al's question and your response ... there is a date time stamp in them.

Might I be so bold as to ask what is creating the .mp4's?

And how are the .mp4's getting into the file system repo?

'spirit of sharing', Ken

I have a zoom video conferencing recording server that is generating the original MP4's. I'm taking those files and moving them all into a single folder that I've set up as a shared folder with my Moodle server and that's where the repository is coming in. that shared folder is sharing directly to a repository in Moodle.

Al's question got me thinking though that maybe I could find a way to rename those files on the original server with a script that would read the date, figure out what day of the week that was and then rename the file to the day of the week and that would keep the file name consistent and it wouldn't matter if it updated in the repository it wouldn't affect the page that it was loaded in. I really only need to keep a week's worth of files and so that might work just as well as anything.

I wanted to keep it in the moodle file repository system just for security issues and student access. 

Picture of AL Rachels
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

Is it new file names each update, or are they staying the same?

They change - they each have a date reference in them.