default moodle course list Background

default moodle course list Background

by Carlos twt -
Number of replies: 15

Where can i change the default color?

As the arrows indicates,

I want to change the "course list background" so it can merge with the color of the site (the blue one for this example).

Or also if I use the "tiles course list"

I would prefer that the course boxes merge with the site color.

So, I want to know where (in the code I guess) I can change this setting? 

If you can help me with the FILENAME.php and VARIABLENAME would be nice. (So I can go and find someone to help me with the code)

Thank you

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Carlos twt

Re: default moodle course list Background

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

filename.php?

variablename?

you must be joking!

Rofl

Not until you read the Forum Rules

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=46

In reply to Mary Evans

by Carlos twt -

In fact I miss the moodle version, 3.1 true, sorry.

But Don't know what more. Thinking a little far you can easily understand that  "filename.php" it's an example.
If someone know where that color is changed you can say  Ex: "oh that change can be make in Whateverthemane.php go and find it."

but reply a joke of someones question dont makes a great help. 

In reply to Carlos twt

by Fernando Acedo -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

It is really difficult to help you if you don't indicate moodle version and the theme used and version.

Are you using BCU?  BCU is actually deprecated and don't have support never more.

I don't remember if changed this ID but you can try to add your custom code for #frontpage-course-list in the custom CSS and let's see if it works. If not, try to find the ID using Firebug.

In reply to Fernando Acedo

by Carlos twt -

In fact the theme is not relevant. 

I could use the default "clean" or the default "More" or something new as "adaptable" or what ever. The true it's this section have the same color in all these themes so the issue should be something deeper than an appareance theme. it's like these boxos where we comment (white and "grey".)

The moodle version I corret it upthere 3.1

In reply to Carlos twt

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Sorry to differ but knowing the theme name does make a difference, as the background colour could be styled in the theme itself. There are many themes out there, it could be any one of them, and they all differ in one way or another.

The fact you are not saying which theme means that I cannot give you the exact CSS you need.

So the other alternative is to go look for it yourself.

To help you try and find out what CSS you need to add, then try using Firefox with the Firebug Add-on.

Failing that if your theme is based on

Base theme then try looking HERE

Or

Bootsrtapbase theme then try looking HERE where you will find Bootstrap and Moodle less files in their respective folders.

Hope that helps

Sorry too for the ROFL animated image...it was childish of me...but then it is late and I was feeling in a funny mood!

Happy Moodleing

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Carlos twt -

NOTE: I use windows seerver for tests and dont touch ubuntu one.

Ok I choose to do this change using the "adaptable" theme...
(I already ask about this issue in adaptable forum and the asnwer "we dont support that, only "tiles w/ overley. thats hardcoded in moodle." )

That's why I post here...

Using Firebug, I found that all.css is the one that contains all this styles. the problem that now I have it's that I find many files with the same name located in nearly similar folders:

The problem now is, should I change this in all the folders located at this rute?
Or how to know which the website is using?

Anyway I do some changes in the css inside the last folder; but the site don't show this changes. 

inside each folder I find the folders: adaptable>css>all.css , all.0.css, all.1.css, all.2.css

In reply to Carlos twt

by Mary Evans -

Hi,

This has nothing to do the the server or the cache files in Moodledata.

So stop adding stuff to your cache files as that is NOT the place OK?

If you want to make changes do them in the theme itself.

So first of all Login to your Moodle site as Admin

Next go to Administration > Site Administration > Development > Purge all caches

Hit the button and wait until you get the all clear that the site has been Purged.

Next go to the Adaptable general settings page in

Administration > Site Administration > Appearance > Adaptable / Custom CSS & JS

Here you should find an area called Custom CSS where you can add the CSS to fix the problem.

Try adding this: then save the setting

html, body { background: #88FCFB;}

#region-main,
.block .content,
.block .header,
.coursebox.panel {
    background: none !important;
}

Hope that helps?

Mary

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Evans

by Carlos twt -

ok I do everything you listed and would not do that changes this way again.

the  #region-main { background: none;}  don't work but i'll try something similar with the attribute ".coursebox.panel" 

and if works i'll tell you what I done.

In reply to Carlos twt

by Mary Evans -

Did you get the other code I added?

#region-main,
.block .content,
.block .header,
.coursebox.panel {
}

Which gave me this:

adaptable

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Evans

by Carlos twt -

Well thank you, the 2nd code you post:

#region-main,
.block .content,
.block .header,
.coursebox.panel {
}

It works as I wanted and was way more shorter that what i have in mind:

Thanks to that I know a lit more how should other changes be aimed (like the header and wraplines).

Having sayng that this topic can be closed 

and again Thank you.

In reply to Carlos twt

by Mary Evans -

Thank You!

So glad it is fixed now.

Cheers

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Carlos twt

by Fernando Acedo -

If you do not indicate the theme used, then use Adaptable , mix questions about cache and you don't know what is all.css file then is impossible to help you.

Also the explanation of what you what to do is not clear. Do you want to change the region background or the tiles background?

Even if a style is hard coded you can change it using the custom CSS. So I guess you don't know CSS enough to apply the changes.

Mary explained you how to change the region background and if you want to change the tiles background in Adaptable, a simple search with Firebug would take you to:

.coursebox.panel {
background: #YOURCOLOUR none repeat scroll 0 0 !important;
border: 1px solid #YOURCOLOUR !important;}
Adding this code to Custom CSS box will solve the problem.

And read the Moodle Docs related to Themes creation before post. Then you will know that moodle uses a cached CSS and you must disable it when working with styles. Or you will get all.css instead.

With both changes you will get this result:

If you want more dark background, then use Adaptable settings and probably will need to modify more styles using custom CSS.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Mary Evans -

Hi Fernando,

I sounds like Carlos was using Adaptable, but got no response in his previous request for help in Adaptable Support thread.

He is working on it now, I am just waiting to see if he has any success.

Thanks for all your suggestions and help so far, I am sure Carlos will appreciate it.

Cheers

Mary

by Carlos twt -

Theme

The reasons I don't wanted to point one were:

- If ever I wanted to change the theme, I would like to know the way it works in general

- Also Adaptable forum says thats more a moodle thing and they give no answer cause it's not about strictly "adaptable" setting. (Because I'm not using "tiles w/overlay - as your picture- I'm using default moodle Tiles.)

But I clarified after that I choose to work on Adaptable Theme

Problem:
As you resolve just like Mary, the idea was not background for the courseboxes.

Thanks for this other method and I also going to try it.

CSS:

Yes I'm not into programing cause I'm into "content area". But also wanna learn some "basic" thing and also could explain better to someone who can helpme here with this issue as I said upthere.

Thank you for your time and your concern.

In reply to Carlos twt

by Fernando Acedo -

Even most of the themes use BootstrapBase not all have the same structure and, not all have settings to manage the site from backend.

So as the forum rules show, first you must indicate theme used and version, and the moodle version, to help you.

On the other hand, when I replied you about the background is hardcoded in the theme (which is still pending of change) it doesn't mean you can't change the colour. You ALWAYS can do it using the custom CSS box available in most of the Moodle Themes. Adaptable only includes settings for the tiles view, not for the default moodle view (which is part of the theme itself)

Also, using Firebug, you can change many theme styles. And if you want to create a 'dark' theme then you will need to make a lot of changes and most of them are not in the theme settings. You could achieve only using custom CSS. 

And yes, if you change later the theme will need to rewrite all the styles again. So the theme used is really  important.