Moodle version 2.9-> One student submit an assignment others in the class get notified

Moodle version 2.9-> One student submit an assignment others in the class get notified

by Salim Olime -
Number of replies: 5

In a class I have enrolled 4 students. If any of the students submit any assignment, not only the teacher(grader) get email notification, but other students get notified as well. Is there any easy way to stop other students in the class to get the email notification? 

Any hints/tips would be highly appreciated.

Salim

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Salim Olime

Re: Moodle version 2.9-> One student submit an assignment others in the class get notified

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

There are two scenarios where this might happen:

1.  The assignment is set to submit in groups and only one assignment is needed per group. 

2.  The student permissions are set to receive notifications, either at the assignment level or the site level (is it just happening on this assignment or every assignment?).

In reply to Emma Richardson

Re: Moodle version 2.9-> One student submit an assignment others in the class get notified

by Salim Olime -

Thank you Emma for your reply and sorry for late response. Long weekend labour here in NSW.

The first scenario you raised does not seem to be relevant to my case. The assignments are certainly not set as groups. 

But the 2nd scenario I am not sure how to verify if it effects my situation. Are you aware of log file one can check to see what is accumulative effective permissions on per user to see if there is some specific setting in there unintentionally though, causing what I see?

Yes it happens on all assignments for this particular class. What makes it even stranger is that this new class is created restoring from backup of another class which did not have this problem.

Regards

Salim

In reply to Salim Olime

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

1.  Check the role assignments for the class - make sure the students have not been added as non-editing teacher or some other role.

2. Just for the heck of it, check the group mode in Course Settings.

3.  In Course Administration, go to Users/Permissions and check permissions right there.  Look for notifications and see if the student role has been added.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Salim Olime -

Emma,

thanks for the hints. I managed to fix the problem for now but I am not sure if the fix is going to cause some issues in the  future. As you suggested under Users/Permissions I found that 'students' were added under permit for "Receive grader submission notifications" After reading the description for the notification online which reads as follows

• This capability allows a user to be notified of assignments submitted by students.
  • This capability is allowed for the default roles of manager, teacher and non-editing teacher.
By removing the students from permit list, I managed to fix the problem.

However I am not sure if this is going to cause any side issues when it comes to students receiving any notification from the grader when grading is done. If not in my humble opinion this permission is very confusingly named and does not really much the description.

Regards

Salim

In reply to Salim Olime

by Emma Richardson -

No, it shouldn't.  The permission shouldn't have been added in the first place.  You shouldn't see any problems and this was the correct fix.  The naming is a little confusing!