I do this all of the time.
I create a quiz and give them 5 days to complete it. They can take the quiz as many times as they wish until the close date.
- Set to accept the highest score of all attempts.
- Leave it at unlimited retakes.
- Make sure you set the SHUFFLE questions to YES.
- Set the delay of the quiz re-take to 1 hour. (other wise they will just retake like crazy)
- Set the feedback to IMMEDIATE instead of DEFERRED. I kinda like this so they can check if an answer is correct immediately.
- Uncheck "display correct answer" for all except when the quiz is closed.
- Each attempt builds on test set to NO (muhahaha)
Shuffling the questions makes it a little tougher to cheat from their friends, but I don't really care one way or the other.
You can see that this student took the quiz 3 times. So basically I'm forcing them to study.