PHPUnit tests fail on DEBUG_DEVELOPER debugging() calls

PHPUnit tests fail on DEBUG_DEVELOPER debugging() calls

by Michael Hughes -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I'm currently working on an internal plugin for moodle, and have discovered that running the PHPunit tests results in errors due to the use of debugging() calls.

I've tracked down https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-44339 which infers that any debugging() statement is an error, and as such the Unit tests fail.

It appears that the reset_debugging() function in /lib/phpunit/classes/util.php resets the debugging level to DEBUG_DEVELOPER.

I'm just wondering if this is a little too aggressive?

Currently in the plugin that I'm developing I'm using the DEBUG_DEVELOPER flag to output useful messages that provide information on the process that is being performed, to allow me to see if there is any issue happening or the data is being unexpectedly modified. All of this may be useful information in the future for tracking down any future issues, so hence the DEBUG_DEVELOPER. In normal operation this is of no interest.

So this leaves me with a resulting action to do at the end of the development process to remove all of the debugging() calls, which then should I need to find out if the internals are playing funny buggers I would then have to re-add.

This is then complicated by the fact that our release processes prohibit me modifying the code running on the live system, hence why the debugging level can be turned up and down as required to investigate any issues.

On this basis I'd challenge the notion that debugging is unexpected, and that a debugging message (certainly at DEBUG_DEVELOPER) can be always asserted as being an "error".

(I do know that I can use the assertDebuggingCalled(null, DEBUG_DEVELOPER) to check that i *did* output developer level messages but then this also seem to discard *all* debugging messages.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael Hughes

Re: PHPUnit tests fail on DEBUG_DEVELOPER debugging() calls

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

The convention is that debugging output is used to tell the developer that something is not right. The fact that any debug output auto-fails the test is generally a very good thing. So, you have to change your thinking and stop thinking of the like a sort of logDebug or whatever that you might see in other systems.

If you want to keep doing what you are doing, then you will need to make your own helper function, to output something if  $CFG->developerdebug is true.

However, you don't really want to be running developer debug level on your live servers. The first step with any bug report is to reproduce it on a test server where you can change code.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)