Linking to files that often cahnge content - direct link vs database

Linking to files that often cahnge content - direct link vs database

by Mitja Decman -
Number of replies: 4

Hi,

I have an excel file that I update every week, since it is containing homework results for students.

I would like to create a link to this file, located in a specific folder on the moodle server (Ubuntu, Moodle 3.1).

I would then simply open this file in excel, update the content and save it (or open a local file on my PC and copy/paste/overwrite it to a specific moodle folder). Students would use the same link all the time to get the latest results.

I don't want to edit moodle every time to upload an updated file.

How do I do that?

Thanks Mitja

PS: On the previous moodle (windows, Moodle 2.9) we used File System repository, named Repo (located in C:\moodleserver\moodledata\Repo) and my links worked. I used www.ourmoodle.com/repo/results.xlsx.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mitja Decman

Re: Linking to files that often cahnge content - direct link vs database

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

If the file system repository worked before it should work now... I don't think it's changed.

In reply to Howard Miller

Odg: Re: Linking to files that often cahnge content - direct link vs database

by Mitja Decman -

Sorry, but it does not work. I have tried a few more things but "File not found" is an error.

I created a folder in var/moodledata/repositories/Repo, added a file aaa.txt in there but the link

In settings (Dashboard/Site administration/Plugins/Repositories/Edit repository instance) there is a repository named RepoR for Repo folder (dropdown selected)

https://www.xxx.com/Repo/aaa.txt - 404 File not found.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Mitja

In reply to Mitja Decman

Re: Odg: Re: Linking to files that often cahnge content - direct link vs database

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

That's nothing to do with Moodle. You haven't set up Apache (or whatever web server software you are using) to serve files at that URL

In reply to Howard Miller

Odg: Re: Odg: Re: Linking to files that often cahnge content - direct link vs database

by Mitja Decman -

You are so right, sorry about that. I forgot that we created a virtual web directory on IIS on Windwos server.

We created an alias on Apache and it works.

Thank you.

Mitja