iOS 10 Update causing issues with playback

iOS 10 Update causing issues with playback

by Jesus Castillo -
Number of replies: 21

Hi! We are experiencing this issue:

Embedded videos in scorm packages do not play. Apple devices who have updated to iOS 10 experienced this issue. No other devices do.

I'm not a developer . Hope someone is working on this issue.

Any body else is experiencing this problem?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jesus Castillo

Re: iOS 10 Update causing issues with playback

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

What format is the video? Is it only in SCORM or other uploaded videos?

There's not much of a clue here unfortunately...

In reply to Howard Miller

by Jesus Castillo -

It is only in SCORM. If you need I can give you access to an example.

Thanks!

by Mark Johnson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

We've encountered this problem.  It appears that iOS 10 doesn't send the session cookie when requesting media files from pluginfile.php.  We've implemented a local hack to work around the problem for now, but it's not an ideal fix and only works with our own media player plugin.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mark Johnson

by Matthew Leathes -

Any chance of sharing details of that hack?

In reply to Matthew Leathes

by Mark Johnson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Basically, we've modified our media player so that if iOS10 is detected, it encrypts the session cookie and send it as a URL parameter when it requests a media file.  We then hacked pluginfile.php to decrypt the data and use that if it didn't get a session cookie.

A bit nasty, but hopefully this is a bug in iOS10 that will be fixed.

In reply to Mark Johnson

by Matthew Leathes -

> it encrypts the session cookie and send it as a URL parameter when it requests a media file.

Funnily enough we came up with pretty much the same solution

> hopefully this is a bug in iOS10 that will be fixed

Let's hope so, not exactly impressed with Apple this month seeing as they also decided to drop PPTP VPN support from macOS and iOS.

In reply to Mark Johnson

by Moisés Martínez Moreno -

Have you applied this solution for a Moodle 2 or 3 version? I got this problem with an old 1.9.18 plataform and I dont know the correct place to correct this.

I've been reading code from <moodledir>/mod/scorm/player.php, <moodledir>/mod/scorm/loadSCO.php and <moodledir>/file.php. I think i must encrypt the session cookie at player.php, which calls loadSCO.php. Am I right? After that, must I resend it from loadSCO.php to file.php? If I'm right again, once I get that param at file.php, what must I do with it?

I'm a bit lost with this problem and I hope you can help me a bit. Thanks in advance.

In reply to Moisés Martínez Moreno

by Matthew Leathes -

This is how you fix it for recent versions of Moodle: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-56129?focusedCommentId=430767&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-430767

I've actually also got some Moodle 1.9.x sites that need fixing as well so once I've got that done I'll be able to let you know what we did

In reply to Matthew Leathes

by Moisés Martínez Moreno -

Yes, that solution worked for a 3.1.2 site I got, but not for 1.9.x.

Thanks for your help. I'll try to resolve it too. If I find the solution, I'll share it here too.

by Andy Ullrich -

Yes, we have the same problem.  We have tried to republish in many different formats with no luck.  ONce iOS10 is installed, our SCORM files do not launch.

by Matthew Leathes -

Hi all, I don't think it is a SCORM problem - although I get this same issue on Moodle I can also replicate it outside of it.

It seems fairly likely to me that it is a resurgence of this iOS7 issue.

Hope this is useful info

by Perry J -

Documentation of issue with new IOS 10 and Scorm with no audio and closed caption.

On 09/24/2016  I discovered using moodle 3.1+ Scorm 1.2 published using Captivate 9.2 only when viewing on an I-PAD or I-Phone using only IOS 10 or greater the audio would disappear along with the closed caption.   However same device using any version of IOS 9 or below worked fine.

On 09/26/2016  The issue was reported to both moodle and Adobe along with several forms that other people were having similar issues.

On 10/02/2016 I decided to test the following: 

I now have come to the conclusion that the issue is part of the moodle LMS

I created a new course with NO GUEST ACCESS and the captivate scorm package made for moodle scorm 1.2 does NOT have audio or closed caption.   However if I place the moodle course with scorm to allow guest access IT WORKS FINE!  Its only when guest access is not allowed when we have an issue.  This only happens with IOS 10 this is not an issue with all versions of IOS 9

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Haniel Burton -

Here's the Moodle Tracker item if anyone is interested in following it. 

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-56129

by Craig Hunter -

Hi all,

A quick and easy temporary workaround for users with this iOS10 issue is to use the (free) Puffin Web Browser. We have a number of online courses at the University of Glasgow with distance learners so we've been offering this advice to them with success.

Cheers.

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

If you use PoodLL 3 then I posted some audio and video player bundles which work around the problem.

https://poodll.com/ios-10-and-html5-video-and-html5-audio-on-https-sites

These work by loading the media into a "blob" in the browser and then setting that as the source of the video/audio tag. So its best for smallish files.

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

just some updates about this issue, about the current status, as far as it's hitting many people:

1. It's being tracked @ MDL-56129, please put any interesting information there.
  2. It's not a Moodle bug, but Apple stopped accepting/observing/resending session cookies that is what protects 99% of web applications out there.
    • Why they did that, I don't know, IMO it's mandatory to send back all cookies to server always and they are simply breaking that. Maybe they are proceeding ok and there is some rule about that being correct, or they are doing it in name of privacy, ignoring that, with that, they are killing 100% legit uses of http/web session cookies... who knows, I really cannot understand it, hence the consideration is that it's a bug their side. A big one.
    • All I'm aware is that the problem has been reported to Apple, but I don't know how it's going neither if it will be fixed ever. It seems that, for some time, iOS 7 also experienced the same problem and it was fixed some time later. In any case, it's clear that all those web applications won't be able, anymore, to play a video that is protected/requires session cookies (again, the most common type of auth-related cookies in http/web environments).
  3. The first attempt to workaround this from Moodle has been to change those session cookies into timed cookies (expiring at some time, say 2h or 4h, for example). And that solution has been commented in this discussion and it seems that is being used already by some of you.
    BUT IT HAS AN IMPORTANT PROBLEM and it's that the session remains active when you close the browser for the number of hours the cookie has been defined. Of course, if all users do logout always, then there isn't any problem with that approach. But if user simply quits the browser... then next one opening it may found himself already logged with previous user credentials. And that does not sound like a good idea at all. Be warned!
    So, finally, we have decided to not follow that approach, because it could have severe security implications in shared computer environments.
  4. Right now we are experimenting another workaround (let me insist it's a workaround in response to an Apple bug) to get them playing, it consists into forcing a given response to iOS 10 devices trying to play a video. You can find it in the Tracker, in the form of an attached patch. And it would be awesome to get some feedback about how t's working in your servers when using iOS10 to play videos stored there. Please, try it and report in the Tracker.

And that's current status, so far. Please be warned about the implications of changing the session type for your institution as it may be important! And try the alternative patch, reporting results, so we can consider adding it to Moodle core ASAP.

TIA and ciao smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Johannes Raymakers -

I found out that the browser app Opera-mini works fine. How is that possible?