Adaptive quiz for learning, NOT assessment

Re: Adaptive quiz for learning, NOT assessment

by Damion Young -
Number of replies: 1

George - did you get any further with this? We have a couple of colleagues who are talking about putting together adaptive learning activities after a recent meeting we had about Oxford's Digital Education Strategy where we discussed the language-learning app DuoLingo. This uses the learn by quizzing approach that you mentioned in your original post. I'm not sure how it deals with 'difficulty' - I love your colleague's idea of effectively using a sorting algorithm for this to avoid having to pre-determine it - but it adds in another dimension by taking advantage of evidence that learning is improved by repetition at increasing intervals. It does this by introducing the concept of  half-life of words in long-term memory to work out when to re-test - see: https://github.com/duolingo/halflife-regression/blob/master/settles.acl16.pdf .

We're recent converts to Moodle Quiz - we plug it in as an LTI tool to our institutional VLE, Sakai - but are already delivering over 200 STACK questions to pre-arrival biochemists (they don't seem to have problems with the maths entry format); have created some 'authentic' assessments for embryologists; are re-using some of Dundee's elective preparation materials (delivered as a quiz) and are currently working on free-text text marking (using an extrernal api)...but it's taking a while for me to get to grips with the Moodle way of doing things. 

However, we love what we've seen of the Quiz tool so far and would be very keen on something which was more cleverly adaptive. We'd be very happy to work with others to adapt the Adaptive Quiz or one of the other activities that Tim mentioned to be able to do this...

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Damion Young

Re: Adaptive quiz for learning, NOT assessment

by George Schaathun -
Picture of Plugin developers

Dear Damion, and others,

well. There is certainly news. Not so much on adaptive quiz, but we have received project funding for the project on adaptive quiz.

The adaptive quiz project which I am heading, is aiming to develop the necessary plugins to use a quiz to drive in-class discussion in mathematics. We find some ideas in ActiveQuiz, but need to adapt it to allow improvised questions (like the quick questions in scorative.com). Stack seems to provide much of what we need to support mathematical questions, but we will try to add functionality to filter a set of student responses down to a set of semantically unique answers. I don't know how difficult this is going to be, so we'll see.

The other project, on adaptive quiz, which is headed by my colleague. In spite of funding, this is still in the state that it was six months ago, for lack of the right people. I had a look at his system the other day, and from the student perspective it looked surprisingly user friendly and effective. I have not seen the teacher's interface though.  What I hope is that there is enough synergy between the two projects to port the adaptive quiz into Moodle as part of the other project, but at this stage that's a hope and not a plan.

The core idea in adaptive quiz is to use the rating system of chess. Students and questions are both seen as players with ratings, and students meet questions of similar rating, and the rating changes depending on the result (correct/incorrect) and the previous ratings.

I shall be very happy to discuss either project with anyone who takes an interest.  Here or by email. Contact details on the project site (not much else there yet): http://confluence.uials.no:8090/display/KQMATHPUB/Klasseromsquiz+i+Matematikk