Creating Workshop like the LearnMoodle experience

Creating Workshop like the LearnMoodle experience

by Kris Steingreaber -
Number of replies: 7

In August, I took a LearnMoodle course with Mary Cooch and Helen.  It was a Basic course, and we used a Workshop, but weren't able to find out how to create that for our own courses.

What they had was exactly what I want to use in my own course I teach.

Students submit their work and then assess three other students.

I am trying to read the Workshop QuickGuide and figure it out, but I am stuck on how to create the assessment.  In the LearnMoodle course, we had to answer two questions during the assessment.  Did they include three sentences?  yes or no   Did they include a hyperlink?  Yes or no  And then write a comment.

How do I include that in my assessment? 

I think I select under Grading Strategy - number of errors?

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kris Steingreaber

Re: Creating Workshop like the LearnMoodle experience

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Kris,

You're right - number of errors was used as the grading strategy for the Learn Moodle workshop activity. You can see behind the scenes of the workshop by logging in as a teacher to our School demo site http://school.demo.moodle.net/mod/workshop/view.php?id=651. Feel free to try switching phases, recalculate or override grades - anything you like! smile

In reply to Helen Foster

by Kris Steingreaber -

Thanks - yes I think I got that just now.

Okay, two more questions.  I am trying this as a simple experiment, so I gave them five points for both submitting the assignment and responding to classmates.

In grading, I changed it from 80/20 to just 5/5

Okay?

Then I used "Scheduled allocation" and I included 3 reviews per submissions.  It is a small class of 13 people.  It seems to want to go back to 5 reviews per submissions.  Is that related to grading or completely different?  I really wanted them to just review 3 other students.

Appreciate the help -

by Kris Steingreaber -

I have two sections - one reads differently than the other in the Grade Mapping Tool under "Number of Errors" Assertion page.  Why is that?  I think I want them to both be as described in number 2.  There are two questions for the Number of Errors Assessment.

1)

Weighted number of errors is less than or equals
Grade for submission
100 %

2)
Weighted number of errors is less than or equals
Grade for submission
100 %
50 %
0 %

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

There is a known usability issue with how to correctly configure the Number of errors assessment form.

You first have to fill both Assertions, then press "Save and continue editing" and only then configure the mapping table.

You probably want it like 100%, 50% and 0%. The values displayed after the selectors are just hints for you how to configure the table for linear mapping. I assume you want to have it filled like this:

Screen shot of the grade mapping table

by Kris Steingreaber -

Under Availability -

I want them to automatically get other student submissions, so, for example, if they must complete their part on October 4 and I check the box to switch to next phase, do I set that next date to October 4 or the next day, October 5?

Thanks

by Jutta Wagner -

Hi Kris, I've tried to create my first workshop in my practice course in this august's Teaching with Moodle. I don't know if you have to do it this way, but I set a gap of one hour between the end of the submission phase and the start of the assessment phase. It seems to have worked for the two participants that acted as friendly test students.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

If you're starting with the Workshop, let me suggest to not use the scheduled allocation. Instead, go there as a teacher when the submission deadline has passed, check things visually and switch the workshop to the next phase manually.

The current scheduled allocation behaviour is known to be unintuitive and with issues.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)