Hardware requirements

Hardware requirements

by Farhad Arshad -
Number of replies: 13

My moodle total users are 8000. But max concurrent users are only 250.

What should be I/O requirements? Should I need many servers or one server for web and DB server? 

How to maintain high availability?

How to manage disaster Recovery?

Need urgent response.

Thank you in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Farhad Arshad

Re: Hardware requirements

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

This sort of question gets asked a LOT and it's incredibly difficult to answer. Here's some questions for you to get you started...

- what operating system will you be using?

- what will those 250 users be doing?

- How do you definite 'high availability'? What have you been asked to achieve, and don't say '24/7' wink

- Ditto... 'disaster'? 

- What's your Moodle experience... have you run any pilots for whatever you are doing (if you haven't you should) or do you intend to?

In reply to Howard Miller

by Farhad Arshad -

First of all, thank you for the response.

I am responding in 10 mins.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I forgot to ask... and this is quite important... how did you calculate the 250 concurrent users figure? Can you justify that. Getting it wildly wrong will result in a big overspend or a system that doesn't work. 

by Farhad Arshad -
Actually, in my class, I have 250 students. And I setup the same time for all users. So they will log in and start quiz at the same time 

by Farhad Arshad -

1) I am using Linux operating system.

2) All of them are watching videos at same time or all of them are doing quiz simultaneously. 

3) High Availability 24/7 if possible V- . 

4) Disaster management I mean one disk or one server is down that next should work.

Thank you in advance.

by Howard Miller -

So you might have a class of 250 people all doing a quiz at *exactly* the same time?  That is - for example - *everybody* starts the quiz at 3pm (or whatever)?

Have you got a proper budget for high availability and disaster management? It can get VERY expensive very quickly. It's only Moodle... nobody died because Moodle failed. The main thing is to take proper backups. 

by Farhad Arshad -

University asked me that expense doesn't matter. But server should not stop during quiz at all.

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

250 users isnt a big deal, even 4 core CPU with 8 GB RAM when properly tuned can handle quiz of that many users without hiccup.

regarding server shouldn't stop, then build your server yourself with premium components rather than buying off the shelf.

by the way, which university have 250 terminals to allocate to one course for students to take quiz at the same time?

In reply to Usman Asar

by Farhad Arshad -

What should be I/O requirements? Should I need many servers or one server for web and DB server? 

How to maintain high availability?

How to manage disaster Recovery?

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

you dont have to have separate web and DB server for this many users, just keep DB on a faster (SSD Drive) independent of System and Moodle drive.

Take backups regularly, and in your particular case, get a decent UPS installed as I know electricity failure must be an issue in your location.

You are repeatedly mentioning high availability and disaster recovery like Moodle is untested or fairly new script to rely on, as long you have good quality hardware, chances of failure are minimum, just for the sake of safely, set your box up with double redundancy, RAID drives, dual PSU.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Howard Miller -

The load from 250 users starting a quiz at the same time could certainly be a big deal.