Looking for Topic "0"

Looking for Topic "0"

per Keith Granger,
Number of replies: 4
I’m new to Moodle customization, and first want to thank all of you who contribute to these forums.

Does anyone know a way to have topic numbers start with “0”, and read 0,1,2,3,4 etc. down the page? Or, could I overwrite the number with a small icon assigned to each topic? Currently I have simply eliminated them from view editing the layout.css files. But I would also like to have such an edit carry through to the forums list page, resources list page, jump-to menus, etc. (FYI:We want to tie topics to book chapters but need a preliminary topic before each for overviews).

Any ideas. I'm comfortable editing code in files.

Thanks!
Average of ratings  -
In reply to Keith Granger

Re: Looking for Topic "0"

per Stuart Mayor,
Try the attached file.
You'll need to unzip it into the course/format folder.
You also need to edit the file lang/en/moodle.php and add the line
$string['formattopiczero'] = 'Topics starting at zero';
If you go to the settings for a course, you should now have an extra option in the course format drop down.
All I have done is converted the existing topic 0 that currently holds News Forum, for example, to be a normal topic.
It's not perfect but its simple.

In reply to Stuart Mayor

Re: Looking for Topic "0" - Additional Center Blocks

per Keith Granger,
Thank you very much! It worked.

Now, having done that, does anyone know how to make an HTML block or other block with editable content appear in the center column - above the list of topics? Then I'd be set.

In reply to Keith Granger

Re: Looking for Topic "0" - Additional Center Blocks

per Sacha Brostoff,

Keith,

Did you ever work out how to get the Topic boxes starting at Zero, AND have an un-numbered topic block at the top?

Does anyone else know how this might be achieved?

We find that it would be very helpful for us too...

With many thanks,

Sacha