Looking for Topic "0"

Looking for Topic "0"

by Keith Granger -
Number of replies: 4
I’m new to Moodle customization, and first want to thank all of you who contribute to these forums.

Does anyone know a way to have topic numbers start with “0”, and read 0,1,2,3,4 etc. down the page? Or, could I overwrite the number with a small icon assigned to each topic? Currently I have simply eliminated them from view editing the layout.css files. But I would also like to have such an edit carry through to the forums list page, resources list page, jump-to menus, etc. (FYI:We want to tie topics to book chapters but need a preliminary topic before each for overviews).

Any ideas. I'm comfortable editing code in files.

Thanks!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Keith Granger

Re: Looking for Topic "0"

by Stuart Mayor -
Try the attached file.
You'll need to unzip it into the course/format folder.
You also need to edit the file lang/en/moodle.php and add the line
$string['formattopiczero'] = 'Topics starting at zero';
If you go to the settings for a course, you should now have an extra option in the course format drop down.
All I have done is converted the existing topic 0 that currently holds News Forum, for example, to be a normal topic.
It's not perfect but its simple.

In reply to Stuart Mayor

Re: Looking for Topic "0" - Additional Center Blocks

by Keith Granger -
Thank you very much! It worked.

Now, having done that, does anyone know how to make an HTML block or other block with editable content appear in the center column - above the list of topics? Then I'd be set.

by Samuli Karevaara -
Umm, yes, but it was kind of the "topic zero" in the first place... mixed

by Sacha Brostoff -

Keith,

Did you ever work out how to get the Topic boxes starting at Zero, AND have an un-numbered topic block at the top?

Does anyone else know how this might be achieved?

We find that it would be very helpful for us too...

With many thanks,

Sacha