Best way to create a quiz where students rank choices in order?

Best way to create a quiz where students rank choices in order?

by Ahmed Samara -
Number of replies: 4

I feel like there should be an easy solution to this, but this is the problem I'm trying to solve.

We have 40 projects, and I want students to be able to sort them into their order of preference, so that I can then sort them into teams based on their preferences using an algorithm similair to the residency matching algorithm (https://natmatch.com/psychint/aboutalg.html).

I want a quiz format that makes it easy for students to rank their top choices in order, (ie: Student A: Project A, Project C, Project B) and the corresponding values being (A=1, C=2, B=3).

I can automate the sorting part myself, but I just need to figure out a way that I can get an easily parsable format out of moodle, in a way that's also easy for the students to understand as well without the numbering being confusing. Something like a drag and drop match.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ahmed Samara

Re: Best way to create a quiz where students rank choices in order?

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Ahmed,

I don't know which Moodle version you have installed and whether it is possible for you to add plugins. Have you considered the Dataform plugin?

With kind regards,

Hartmut

In reply to Ahmed Samara

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Or feedback?  Feedback is excellent.  I would not use quiz.

In reply to Ahmed Samara

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I think using the Questionnaire activity with a question using a rating scale would be the quickest and easiest way to do this. Something similar to this:

As you can see, ranking just 10 projects makes just one question pretty large so you might would want to make smaller project groupings, possibly into categories? The nice thing about using a questionnaire is that you can then download all the results into a spreadsheet as a CSV file.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to AL Rachels

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Yeah, I really like Questionnaire, too...but when we moved to 2.X we decided the fewer add-ons we had, the easier things would be...and feedback can do most of the things Questionnaire can, just in slightly different ways sometimes and is part of core.  But...yeah, questionnaire does this really well.