How do I hide columns of student information?

How do I hide columns of student information?

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -
Number of replies: 5

The only information a student is to enter is a Username and a password.  All other columns of student personal information are to be hidden/disabled.

I will create each account and set the option for the student to change password upon first sign in.  I don't want student to be able to enter additional information.

How do I do this?  I do not even need e-mail address.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steve Ambro v3.8

Re: How do I hide columns of student information?

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Along with the link Garath mentions, you probably want to look at the settings under Administration > Site administration > Users > Permissions > User policies.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

I checked out both suggestions and wonder how much of a house-of-cards I will have to maintain and if all that work is worth the effort.

I am figuring that I can bypass all of the settings by having the students fill in fake information in all the fields.  What they choose for username and password will have to be used throughout the course.  I believe I have answered the problem with Moodle sending out e-mail to fake accounts.

They can send me their name along with username to my school e-mail account so I can connect username and grade with the student at the end of the course.

I want to run a Moodle that does not contain any student information.  I will distribute group passwords to qualify the new entries. 

Thoughts?

In reply to Steve Ambro v3.8

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

If you find yourself in a situation were you have to completely anonymise your users is the issue with Moodle or the regime it lives in? Just seems odd to me. Students in a class know each others name and what each other looks like.

Sorry... unhelpful, but just curious. 

In reply to Howard Miller

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

If you find yourself in a situation were you have to completely anonymise your users is the issue with Moodle or the regime it lives in? Just seems odd to me. Students in a class know each others name and what each other looks like.

Nothing to do with availability of information between students. With today's apps, they have far more ways than Moodle to find each other.  It is more a concern for cyber attack and the laws that protect student data.  I came to the realization that none of the personal information in my Moodle is of any use to me and I can certainly tolerate the extra step or two for e-mail contacts. 

I even tell students not to post their pictures, birth dates and even city/state anywhere online for their own safety and back it up with a horror story or two.

Sorry... unhelpful, but just curious.

It IS helpful as it provokes thought and conversation.