Unenrol?

Unenrol?

by Leslie Foster -
Number of replies: 3

Moodle 3.1:

I have 3rd part scorm courses running on my moodle.  Employees at my client can self enrol on a course at any time (i.e. each employee starts and finishes the course on a different set of dates).  Each of the 3rd party course suppliers has different terms and conditions (3months licence, 6 months, 9 months etc).

I can set the self enrol to be for a set period on each course, no problem.

My question is how does that automatic unenrol at the end of the period affect reporting and data?  I do not want people to be automatically unenrolled at the end of their licence if that then means any reports that I subsequently produce from the system are incomplete.

What is the best way to tackle this problem?

Regards

Les

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Leslie Foster

Re: Unenrol?

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

I actually haven't looked at this for a while, but there is a couple of things that come to mind. If you are enrolling a class, not just an individual on the basis of a rolling enrollment, then at the end of the class, archive that course, hiding the course in a hidden archive, keeping all its data, all its enrollment records active, but just not accessible. I seem to recall that even if unenrolled, the data associated with that enrollment is kept within the database, all you need do is to look for a specific user id or name when searching. It should reappear at need. If you unenrol a user, their data remains so that if they would re-enrol at a future point, work completed is still available to them, and their teacher. AFAIK, this is how it works, but been out of Admin for a larger Moodle for a while. 

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Leslie Foster -
Colin

Thanks for your response.

It's not a class as such.  

Any user can self enrol at any time and have 3,6,9,12 months to complete based on whatever the policy is of the particular course provider.  Everyone has a different start date and end date.

I do nt really want to unenrol the user at the end date as their data will not be included in reports.  I do want to stop them still accessing the course as their licence is finished....but others still need to access that course.  The user will still have valid licences for other courses, so I cannot suspend them.

Any comments or thought most welcome.  i cannot be the only person with this issue?

Les

In reply to Leslie Foster

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

That is the issue with rolling or continuous enrollments. As I said, AFAIK, if unenrolled from a course, the data they leave is still associated with that course, and can be recalled by adding something like "....enrolled='0'.." to the SELECT SQL query when searching the database. (That is from memory, so don't quote me.)  All results and certificates etc. should be available within the course. Unenrolling a student does not delete them, but denies access to that course. This does not affect other enrollments.