PoodLL and Moodle proxy

Re: PoodLL and Moodle proxy

by Justin Hunt -
Number of replies: 14
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

The Moodle proxy settings are about Moodle server and its connection to the greater internet via the proxy. 

For networking PoodLL uses the Moodle APIs and that has always handled proxy servers properly. Now PoodLL uses Amazon S3 for some of its cloud operations, and its possible the Amazon SDK is doing something that requires knowledge of any proxies. 

But there might be a simpler explanation than this. Can you describe the problems that you are having?

In reply to Justin Hunt

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Justin,

Sorry for the late answer.

In fact, on an older test server, more wide open to the internet, PoodLL works OK.

But on recent production server, i have (for security reasons) to use a proxy to access internet.

The problem is that, when using PoodLL and clicking on the "Save" button, i've got an error message :

Post Process S3 Upload Error :0

Séverin

In reply to Séverin Terrier

by Justin Hunt -

Ah, this definitely looks like we need to do something to get S3 requests through the proxy. Either the client or the server ..

I will look at it Séverin

In reply to Justin Hunt

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Justin,

Yes, i hope you'll be able to find a solution, so that we can use PoodLL.

Séverin

by Justin Hunt -

Hi Séverin 

I added support for Moodle Proxy to the Amazon upload scripts in the latest version. Sorry to have to say, I could not test it very well because I don't have a good proxy setup. But when you upgrade could you tell me if it works for you or not? The version it is implemented in is:

PoodLL Filter 3.0.21(Build 2016112803)

In reply to Justin Hunt

by Séverin Terrier -

Hi Justin,

Thanks for your work on this.

Sadly, even with the new version, it still doesn't work.

When one try to record something, you :

1. click "record button" and talk
  2. click  "stop button"
  3. click "send button", and it shows :
    1. uploading
    2. Uploaded successfully
    3. Post Process S3 Upload Error :0

Séverin

by Justin Hunt -
Ah that is so sad. 

I will set up a proxy to test this. Sorry for the delay

Justin

In reply to Justin Hunt

by Steve Maher -

Hello! I am having a similar issue. I get "Post process s3 Upload Error: 404"

Are there any specific firewall rules that are needed to talk to tokyo.poodll.com properly ?

Attachment 404s3.png
In reply to Steve Maher

by Steve Maher -

I made a little progress. The SSL cert on the site was expired so I thought maybe that could cause issues. I set moodle to run over port 80 and things started working fine. I will get an updated  cert and go back to 443 and we'll see if the issue persists,

The point of the post is that if you have issues try non-secure and checking your ssl certs.

In reply to Steve Maher

by Justin Hunt -
Hi Steve 

Thanks for the report. Just a note, the screenshot you posted is the HTML5 recorder. This records locally and submits the file to the PoodLL S3 bucket for processing. So in this case there is no tokyo.poodll.com. 

Thats generally a good thing, because its more reliable for multiple reasons and the network complexity is way reduced. 

In reply to Justin Hunt

by Séverin Terrier -

Hi Justin,

I keep waiting and interested by a solution.

Séverin

by Justin Hunt -

Sorry for the delay, Séverin. i have sent a separate reply by email. But for the record, and for anyone else who is affected by this, the latest version (2017010401) released today should fix this.

The final problem was caused by a rogue bit of code that fetched the recorded file from the Red5 server, but didn't do so using the Moodle networking APIs. 

In reply to Justin Hunt

by Mihajlo Stojanovski -

Hey Justin!

We've installed the  3.0.22(Build 2017010401), but the problem is not solved.

Nothing was submitted when using Red5 recorder.(I've tried Chrome, Firefox and IE)

Then I switched the PoodLL Rec. Type to Mp3 recorder (in the same assignment) and there was the message "Your audio is converting", and after couple of minutes the audio, that was created with Red5 recorder, was there.

In Firefox, also when using the Mp3 Recorder I got that message again "Post Process s3 Upload Error:0", but the recording gets uploaded (needs converting though).

The least problems did IE. I managed to replicate the Nothing was submitted Red5 issue, but no post process s3 upload error.

A lot of people are complaining. For some Chrome is working, and Firefox causing issues, and vice versa.

In reply to Mihajlo Stojanovski

by Justin Hunt -
Mihajlo

The proxy issues have been fixed in the latest version, but I just have not released it yet. So for now you should get that from GitHub (branch poodll3):

https://github.com/justinhunt/moodle-filter_poodll

But I will try and release this version in the next day or two

J

In reply to Justin Hunt

by Séverin Terrier -

Hi,

Also note that if your proxy is really restrictive, you must allow these adresses:

• elastictranscoder.ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com
  • poodll-audioprocessing-out.s3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com
  • poodll-videoprocessing-in.s3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com
  • poodll-videoprocessing-out.s3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com
HTH,
Séverin