Rubrics: Standalone tool?

Rubrics: Standalone tool?

by Mimi O'M -
Number of replies: 7

Greetings all,

Is anyone aware if Moodle 3.0.4 rubric can stand alone as its own resource (not be attached to either an assignment or forum)?

I have a PSY program chair who wants to create a rubric which would be completed by every instructor for every student taking a course in the PSY program.  This rubric would have criteria which align with attributes (e.g., professionalism, self-reflection, interpersonal skills, etc.) as opposed to specific tasks associated with a forum or assignment.  He likes the idea of the rubric results staying inside a Moodle course, but would like to be able to "funnel up" all rubric results (from every course from every student) in 1 spreadsheet.  This spreadsheet could be used for accreditation purposes.

Thanks for the feedback.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mimi O'M

Re: Rubrics: Standalone tool?

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Mimi,

I'm pretty sure rubrics can not stand alone. However you can create an activity that requires no input from students, and create your rubric in it's advanced grading setting. Problem is there would be no convenient way to "funnel up" the rubric results.

A possible way of doing it would to be to create a rubric form in the database activity and once everything is filled out for each student, it can be exported as a CSV file. It is pretty trivial to combine multiple csv files into one or more spreadsheets for record keeping.

You could probably also do it with either the feedback or questionnaire, both of which will let you download results as a CSV file. The problem with both of these is making it possible for the teacher to respond to the questions once for each student. Much easier to do that for database, as the teacher would just add a new entry for each student.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to AL Rachels

by Mimi O'M -

Al,

Thanks for this response.  Never thought of using a database, but I can see its merits for something like this use.  Next question: I wonder if one could create a "master" database which could be imported into every course in the program?  Essentially that's what the program chair wants to do: 1 assessment tool which could be loaded into every course in the program.  

In reply to Mimi O'M

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

"Master" database for all the other courses is easy...in your "master" database, click on the Preset tab, select from the options available.  In this case you might want to use Save as preset. In the other course, create a database, but before adding any fields, click on the Preset tab, and then use your saved preset that should be listed in the Use a preset, section.

Other options:

1. In the other courses, click on Import, go to the course that contains the "master" database and import just it.

2. Install the Sharing Cart plugin, copy the "master" databse into the sharing cart, in all other courses, copy from the Sharing Cart and place where you want it in the course.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Mimi O'M -

Al,

I'll have to check to see if we have the Sharing Cart plugin.  I built a demo of the database based on your previous thread and it may seem to work.  My last question relates to student feedback: what do you recommend would be the best way to share individual student scores back to the student?  I was thinking Excel's Quick Analysis chart tool, but I'm wondering if there's something I may be overlooking.

Appreciate the help!

In reply to Mimi O'M

by AL Rachels -

Well, one thing you may have overlooked is setting up an Activity as an Offline Activity with Advanced grading using the built in rubric capability for assignments. An activity set up this way requires no input from the student, but there is an "assignment" for each student that the teacher/instructor can "grade" by marking and making comments in the rubric.

The process to, "share individual student scores back to the student" then becomes automatic, like grades and rubric markings from any other assignment.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Mimi O'M -

Sounds plausible, but then Moodle database doesn't allow for being an Offline Activity (unless I missed a setting).  

Also, an Activity/Advanced grading/rubric solution will probably not allow for exporting to a CSV file.  This reporting feature is what the program chair really wants.  Good troubleshooting idea, though-thanks!

In reply to Mimi O'M

by AL Rachels -

"Sounds plausible, but then Moodle database doesn't allow for being an Offline Activity (unless I missed a setting)." When setting up the assignment, all you have to do to make it "offline" is to remove all the checkmarks for Submission types. Moodle will then automatically treat the assignment as offline.

"Also, an Activity/Advanced grading/rubric solution will probably not allow for exporting to a CSV file." Granted, no built-in export to CSV, but since the rubric data is there and available in your Moodle database, install the Ad-hoc database queries plugin, create a query that digs out the info for you. The nice thing about this method is it can be setup to run on a defined schedule and export a csv report or email it to a defined email address.