Hi all, my embedded mp3 files (stored in my Moodle repository) were working fine in quizzes before I upgraded my iPhone to iOS 10. Now they don't play. Although the phone seems to be loading the audio as before when I click to play it (I can see data transmission happening), there is no sound. Has anyone else experienced the same issue? Any suggested fixes? Thanks.
I am having a similar problem with the iOS 10.0.1 and trying to play embedded mp3 files from the Moodle online classroom. The embedded mp3 links work using the iOS 9.3.5., but not iOS 10.0.1. In both cases I'm accessing the online classroom via the safari browser on an iPhone.
I'm also using Safari on an iPhone.
Documentation of issue with new IOS 10 and Scorm with no audio and closed caption.
On 09/24/2016 I discovered using moodle 3.1+ Scorm 1.2 published using Captivate 9.2 only when viewing on an I-PAD or I-Phone using only IOS 10 or greater the audio would disappear along with the closed caption. However same device using any version of IOS 9 or below worked fine.
On 09/26/2016 The issue was reported to both moodle and Adobe along with several forms that other people were having similar issues.
On 10/02/2016 I decided to test the following:
I know have come to the conclusion that the issue is part of the moodle LMS
I created a new course with no guest access and the captivate scorm package made for moodle scorm 1.2 does NOT have audio or closed caption. However if I place the moodle to allow guest access IT WORKS FINE! Its only when guest access is not allowed when we have an issue only with IOS 10 this is not an issue with all versions of IOS 9
Hi Perry, thanks for the info. After reading your post I enabled guest access in a course with embedded mp3 files but the audio still wouldn't play in Safari on my iPhone running iOS 10...
Students who i teach that have upgraded to iOs 10 have reported a similar problem with playing of mp3 files. I tried the following:
a. changed the audio format to (.aac) Same result- can't play the .acc audio on iPhone iOS10.
b. I got a student to download different browser- Chrome (the default browser is safari). Result: same- can't play mp3 audio with iPhone iOS10.
c. I got an iPhone user with iOS10 installed to try another LMS (Manaba) that I had placed some mp3 files on. Result: plays OK.
This leads me to suspect that it may now be a Moodle problem, but as I am no expert, I don't want to jump to conclusions here....
Unfortunately testing via Chrome (or Firefox) on iOS isn't a very useful test as they are not really different browsers.
They are effectively still Safari just with a different user interface.
Webkit (the rendering engine that powers Safari) is the only browser rendering engine that Apple allows to be used on iOS - which is why you'll find bugs like this can be replicated in Chrome and Firefox.
I don't believe this to be a Moodle problem because I can replicate this problem in some non-Moodle environments.
The problem is Safari failing to handle session authentication cookies properly when the media player requests files from the server. This issue will be triggered by any platform/service that happens to use this method of authentication.
Well, as i said, I also did try to play mp3 files on another LMS (Manaba) using the safari browser on iOS10, and the mp3 files played OK... So, just thought it might have been a moodle problem. But as also said, I am not that technical savvy, so you may be right...
Another data point. I disabled HMTL5 audio in Administration> Site administration > Appearance > Media embedding. On my iPhone, the audio player no longer loaded automatically; instead, I needed to click on name of the media file, which then opened in a black screen with a play icon in the middle. Clicking on the play icon produced no sound.