memory_limit error...

memory_limit error...

by Gil Nunes -
Number of replies: 7

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to install moodle 3.1.2+... But I get the following error message:

PHP setting must be changed.

Insufficient memory detected, please set higher memory limit in PHP settings.

And at the end of the page:

You must solve all the environmental problems (errors) found above before proceeding to install this Moodle version!

The server where I'm trying to install moodle gave me 70 M for memory_limit...
70M not enough to do the installation ???

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gil Nunes

Re: memory_limit error...

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

The minimum memory for 3.1 (and, I think, several earlier versions) is 96M. Even that's a minimum. Some functions will require more. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Gil Nunes -

So... I can't install moodle just with 70M for memory_limit... sad

In reply to Gil Nunes

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

If you have no way to increase it then no. 

Have you asked your administrator or hosting company? Moodle is a big application and needs suitable resources. It's not the easiest thing to run on the cheap. 

In reply to Gil Nunes

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Got command line access?   There is a script for installing in moodlecode/admin/ called install.php.

Since that takes apache out of the loop it might actually use less memory.

If you don't have access to command line, me thinks asking provider to do it for you might be risky ... not that they couldn't do it ... question is would they and if one has troubles installing what of running it over a long period of time .... past initial install ... Moodles only grow after initial ... they don't get smaller.

So ... you might have to opt for a package from provider that allocates more resources to your setup ... they call those VPS's - managed and un-managed.   Managed means they take care of updates to OS stuff, but customer handles apps.

2 cent suggestion/advice offered for free!

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Howard Miller -

Ken.... it's nothing to do with how much memory it uses. The 96MB restriction is in the environment checks. Moodle will refuse to install with less than that.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Gil Nunes -

Thank you all.
I'll try to talk to the provider.

On the other hand ... MoodleDocs should be updated.

https://docs.moodle.org/31/en/PHP

"memory_limit should be at least 64M..."

In reply to Gil Nunes

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Howard is correct.   My bad.   Should have checked it out before opening foot and inserting mouth! :\

The page referenced does say:

memory_limit should be at least 64M (although some functions may not work if this low). 128M is recommended. Large systems may need an even higher setting.

So according to that, the recommendation is 128M.

Thought: if one has to get hosting provider to set this and they do so on a temporary basis just to install, one might have issues (eventually) in actually running Moodle in near future.

'spirit of sharing', Ken