hot potatoes scorm not registering grade average properly

hot potatoes scorm not registering grade average properly

by juan cta -
Number of replies: 13

Hi,

I am using Hot Potatoes scorms in a Moodle 3.1. I created these scorms with The Masher. All of them have more than one hot potatoes activities. Everything seems to work fine except that, when a student does only one object, Moodle shows the mark he has got in that object even though I configure it to register the average of all the objects. Just to give you an example, when in a scorm with two objects the student gets 50% in the first one, moodle registers 50% instead of 25%. I tried all possible moodle configurations without success.

I know that there is a forum specific for scorm but I could not get an answer there so I thought that maybe here you might have more information about this issue. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to juan cta

Re: hot potatoes scorm not registering grade average properly

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Juan,
I don't use the SCORM module, so I don't know about that at all.

However, you may find the TaskChain module works for you in this situation. I know for a fact that it will return that grades you expect to the gradebook.

Also, you may like to ask on the Yahoo group for the HotPotatoesUsers.

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by juan cta -

Thank you Gordon,

I think I will have a look at taskchain. Just a question, is it totally free with all its functionalities? I think I remember that in the past you needed the paid version to be able to import activities from one course to another. The problem is that I would probably find it difficult to persuade my school to pay for a license.

Regards

In reply to juan cta

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Juan, YES! TaskChain is totally free nowadays. Enjoy smile

by juan cta -

Hi Gordon,

That's really good news. Thank you so much. I'll definitely try it.

Regards

In reply to juan cta

by juan cta -

Dear Gordon,

I have installed Taskchain and it works great!. There is just a detail that I miss: I use the progress bar plugin in my courses and I cannot make it monitor Taskchains. They do not turn up in the list of items to be monitored by the progress bar. Do you think I might be configuring something wrong? If the progress bar is not compatible with Taskchain, do you know of any other similar plugin that would work?

Thank you so much for having created and maintaining such a useful and well designed tool.

Juan

In reply to juan cta

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Juan,
I'm glad to hear that TaskChain is working well for you approve

Perhaps you could coax the Progress Bar to recognize TaskChain activities, if you add the following line to the Progress Bar language pack file, "blocks/block_progress/lang/en/block_progress.php".

• $string['taskchain'] = 'TaskChain';

However, I don't use the Progress Bar, so I don't know too much about it. For the final word, please ask the block's maintainer, Michael de Raadt.

On my courses, use the TaskChain Navigation block, which displays all the gradebook information on the course page, so that students can see how their efforts are affecting their grades. It also acts as a navigation block for the course sections, so it works best if you have a gradebook category for each course section. If that is the way you have things setup, then it may be useful for you.

You can download it from my github repository:

For reference, I have attached a screenshot of a course page that uses the TaskChain navigation block.

regards
Gordon

Attachment coursepage.taskchain.navigation.png

by Gordon Bateson -

Juan,
 I have just noticed that the Progress Bar has been replaced by the "Completion Progress" block.

Perhaps that would suit you best?
Gordon

by juan cta -

Thank you again, Gordon, Completion progress block works quite well and it is easy to configure and use. I will try yours too, nevertheless. It looks more complete.

Regards

by juan cta -
Hi all,

I am finding it difficult to fully understand all the options in the configuration of TaskChains. 

My problem is that I have chains with two or three hot potatoes activities and I ask my students to get an average of 100% in the chain. Now, when students get a lower mark in the last activity of the chain, they have to repeat the whole chain as a new attempt is trigered. Can these chains be configured so that students can repeat just the last activity to get the highest mark? It is very annoying for them to have to do once more even the activities they did well.

Regards

In reply to juan cta

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Juan,
if you add the following post-conditions to the final task, I think it will behave as you wish:

• >= 100%: end of chain
  • same task

If that is not clear or does not help, please could you set up your TaskChain on my testing server, so that we look at it together:

Regards,
Gordon

by juan cta -

Thank you, Gordon. It works.

Could you tell me what >= 100% and <=100% mean and also what Taskchain does when  you combine them with the "same task" piece below? 

I would also like to know if it would be possible to force students to repeat the same activity every time they get less than 100%.

Regards

In reply to juan cta

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Juan,

I think the tutorial for the QuizPort - the predecessor to TaskChain - will help you.

cheers
Gordon

by juan cta -

That was it, Gordon!!!

I didn't know of the existence of this manual

Thank you very much for the info and for such a strong piece of software.

Cheers