Quiz "Start Attempt" does not work?

Quiz "Start Attempt" does not work?

by James Rodewald -
Number of replies: 3

We are running several courses with several online quizzes in each for around 250 students on our Moodle 3.1 installation. This Summer we upgraded from 2.7. The teachers have changed the start and ending times of quizzes they used last year and set a time limit of 20 minutes on them. For some reason when the students click "Start Attempt" a grey window bar comes up telling them how much time they have and then asks them if they are sure they want to start the quiz.

At this point the students have no timer and nothing to click on to start the quiz. Odd, worked fine under 2.7. We are using several different versions of IE on PC platforms. Even under Windows 10 using Edge it doesn't work. Hopefully I'm missing something obvious but I'm concerned about all our courses come Monday. Any insight on this? So very much appreciated.

jrodewald@ncolonie.org

http://www.shscience.net

Average of ratings: -
In reply to James Rodewald

Re: Quiz "Start Attempt" does not work?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

It should be an in-page pop-up, and it should have a button to confirm they want to start the attempt. See https://qa.moodle.net/mod/quiz/view.php?id=32 for how it should work.

So, the question is, why is it not working for you. Do you use a custom theme? Do other similar pop-ups work in your Moodle site? What else can you do to debug the problem?

In reply to Tim Hunt

by James Rodewald -

Thank you. I will do a good bit of debugging this weekend to try to narrow it down. I had my fingers crossed (unscientific method of problem solving) that maybe I was just overlooking a new setting in 3.1.

We do have the Essential custom theme installed so I'll be certain to update it and Moodle first to see if that clears it.

Thank you for your help!

Jim Rodewald

In reply to Tim Hunt

by James Rodewald -

Tim -

Thanks for your help. I resolved the problem. It was a custom theme issue. We are running Moodle 3.1.1 with the Essential theme. When we upgraded everything over the Summer from Moodle 2.9 to 3.1 we thought the Essential theme was upgraded as well. It wasn't and we were running their 2014 version. That was manually upgraded from Essential 2.7.9.5.2 to 3.1.0.9 on our server this morning and all seems to be running smoothly. We now have a panoply of color adjustments to address, but that is not mission critical for the next week of classes.

Thanks again for your prompt response, we greatly appreciated it.

Regards,

James Rodewald