Blank review in grading interface OR Deleting annotated pdf

Blank review in grading interface OR Deleting annotated pdf

by Blair Goodlin -
Number of replies: 5

We're running Moodle 3.1.1, and we're having some problems with the assignment grading interface.  When a student submits a paper, and an instructor goes to grade the paper using the assignment grading interface, the review pane displays a blank page instead of displaying a copy of the paper.  The funny thing is that when I take the same file and submit it to an assignment in my dummy course, it displays fine.

We'd had some problems getting our ghostscript and unoconv set up correctly, but they're fixed now.  I'm wondering if maybe the instructor used the grading interface to review the paper before we made the fix.  If so, then Moodle would have created an annotated pdf copy for feedback (which would have been blank because of our unoconv problem), and that feedback pdf got saved.  Now, even after unoconv is fixed, that blank pdf is being displayed.

Any ideas?  One possibility is to delete the feedback pdf copy, thus forcing Moodle to create a new one, which should succeed now that unoconv is fixed.  But I have no idea how to delete that feedback pdf copy; I can access it and delete individual annotations in it, but not the pdf itself.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Blair Goodlin

Re: Blank review in grading interface OR Deleting annotated pdf

by Jutta Wagner -

I seem to have the same problem in my moodle courses. I'm a teacher and have no admin rights, so I don't know whether there have been any setup problems. The only thing I know is that some students have uploaded Word or open office documents and that those are supposedly converted into a pdf, as it says in a short message in the pdf-window along with a "working" symbol. But then the resulting document is empty.

I don't know the exact version of moodle we use, just that it has the new assignment grading interface.

Is there anything I can do with only teacher's rights, or do I have to talk to my admin? And what do I tell him?

In reply to Blair Goodlin

Re: Blank review in grading interface OR Deleting annotated pdf

by Blair Goodlin -

Thanks for all the input.  It isn't a unoconv issue; we did have it installed incorrectly, but it was fixed.  I discovered that Moodle will attempt to create the PDF once, and if it succeeds then it won't rebuild it again.  The problem is that the instructor checked the assignment before unoconv was fixed, creating the blank PDF.  Now, every time we try to preview the assignment in the grading interface, we're seeing that blank PDF even though unoconv is now installed correctly.  At least new submissions will appear as they should.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)