New User - Opening page layout

New User - Opening page layout

by Euclydes Santos -
Number of replies: 3

I´ve just finished installation of moodle.  Smooth and easy smiley.gif.  Two minor questions (for now...wink.gif!):

1.  The opening page doesn´t fit IE window (horizontal scroll present).  I´ve read an earlier discussion on the subject but.....sorry....I wasn´t able to solve the issue (or even to follow the discussion).  I suppose that's because I´m a biologist clown.gif, without much experience on the subject.  To get moodle running on the first try was already a great victory biggrin.gif (mine and yours....since your instructions are really clear and helpfull).

2. The middle column of the opening page brings a News module, in which users can add topics and discuss existing ones.  I´d prefer to have full controll of that column and be the only one able to post anything.  Someting similar to what you have here at the moodle site.

Thanks in advance.

Euclydes A. Santos

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Euclydes Santos

Re: New User - Opening page layout

by William Brandes -
Perhaps it was me that posted earlier. Without doing HTML code changes, I found that the easiest way to eliminate the scroll was to setup with only 2 columns, main window and either left or right instead of  the 3-column format. Cheers.
In reply to Euclydes Santos

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
To alter the settings for the news forum to control what students can do, click "turn on editing", then click the little edit icon next to the "news forum" in the main menu.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Euclydes Santos -

Ok, its fine now.  Many thanks.

One second (or third?) problem:

When I try to login as an administrator sitting right at the server (no proxy, firewall or whatever) I´m sent back to the initial page (no login is performed).  Nevertheless, this can be overcome in two ways:

1.  I repeat the login attempts untill the allowed number is exceeded.  I then get an error msg and, when clicking "continue", a regular login as administrator is obtained.

2.  After the first frustrated login attempt I change the language...when the new page is called I then find myself logged.

Any hint?

Hope you understood (sorry for the english).

Euclydes