Where is the switch roles ...?

Re: Where is the switch roles ...?

by Melanie Scott -
Number of replies: 13
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

As Helen, Robert and John have said, it isn't gone.  It was never on the Site home page.  Not even in version 1.X (6, 7, 8, 9).  It only ever appeared in courses.  And it still does.  It just isn't a drop down now.  It is a separate section in the Administration block (just under Course Administration).

Switch Role To...

Obviously my roles are different from others, but the basic idea is the same.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Melanie Scott

by Sarah Vidmar -

We just upgraded to 3.2 and the switch role function is missing??  Any suggestions to get it back?  We use it constantly.

Attachment screen shot missing switch role.png
In reply to Sarah Vidmar

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Sarah,

In Moodle 3.2, switch roles has been moved to the user menu (top right).

In reply to Helen Foster

by Sarah Vidmar -

Thanks for the reply, Helen.  I think I am missing something?  My top right looks like this...  If you have any other suggestions they would be much appreciated.  Sarah

Attachment usermenu1.jpg
Attachment usermenu2.jpg
In reply to Sarah Vidmar

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

You can see how switch roles looks on the Sandbox demo site when using the theme Boost, Clean or More.

From your screenshot it seems you're using a custom theme, so perhaps it needs some modifying?

In reply to Helen Foster

by Conrad Krodel -

@Sarah Vidmar I think in theme adaptable the "switch role"-Button is currently missing.

@all: Any ideas to create a switch role-link? switchrole.php require course_id parameter which can't created using html link in custom moodle menus.

In reply to Conrad Krodel

by Alida Isolani -

@Conrad Krodel you are right... I have Adaptable theme and two days ago I updated to moodle 3.2 and "switch role.." button is missing

In reply to Conrad Krodel

by John Wolff -

Same problem for me as well.  I love the Adaptable theme, so would really like to know how to fix this issue.

In reply to John Wolff

by Helen Foster -

Regarding switch roles and the Adaptable theme, please see this recent discussion about it: Re: Adaptable: version 1.3 released.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Sarah Vidmar -

Thank you Helen.

We also had some other unusual things happen with the Moodle 3.2 and the Adaptable theme. 

We lost some text off two buttons in the grade assignment page.  All other buttons on the site appear fine (white text on black background).  See image below.

Any suggestions to get the text back?

Sarah

Attachment missing text.jpg
In reply to Sarah Vidmar

by Helen Foster -

Sarah, sorry I can't help you because Adaptable is an additional theme, and I've no experience of using it. Please post in the Adaptable discussion or start a new discussion in the Themes forum.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Larry Elchuck -

There is no pulldown menu for the user in the Magazine theme as well. Is there an alternate way to access the "Switch role" function? Liked it where it was located in previous iterations, at least it was universally accessible!

Or can someone suggest a hack to the magazine theme to insert the code for this pulldown?

In reply to Helen Foster

by Marc Couture -

There is no way to access the Switch role option under the "Essential" theme either, but an upcoming update will hopefully fix this.

Why was this option moved?

In reply to Marc Couture

by Ago Luberg -

We are using custom theme too. And we noticed that the "switch" role has been moved.

Is there any specific reason it was moved away from the regular menu into top menu? I think we will have a workaround which just add the link to the "switch role" page somewhere in the page. Most probably we will add it as a regular menu item (should end up something close the earlier version where it was in the menu). Has anyone done it? Any suggestions about that? I'm mostly concerned whether I can modify the menu from theme.