Import Questions

Import Questions

by jaya prakash -
Number of replies: 3

What are the possibility in a Notepad to import the formulas in the Moodle application

Attachment ckeditor-mathjax-dialog.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to jaya prakash

Re: Import Questions

by Christopher Sangwin -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Jaya Prakash.

I'm sorry but I don't understand your question.  Are you writing the formula in notepad and want to import into Moodle?    Moodle has an in-built editor, so you should be able to cut-and-paste any LaTeX formula into Moodle and use one of the filters (e.g. MathJax) to display it.  Many people do this, so this forum will be able to help you.

If you are trying to copy the formula from Moodle to Notepad, then many people use LaTeX in their Moodle site, so the LaTeX source will be in the web page.

I hope this helps you to clarify your question.

Chris

In reply to Christopher Sangwin

by George Schaathun -
Picture of Plugin developers

I do not know what OP wanted, but I have a question which may overlap.

Is it possible to create questions off-line, for instance in an XML format, and then upload (import) them in bulk?

I find it much faster to edit an XML file, than it is to use a web form, when I there is more than a question or two to create.

In reply to George Schaathun

by Christopher Sangwin -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

George,

Yes, in principal you can do this with STACK.  STACK uses the "moodle XML" format to import and export questions.  There are some sample questions here: https://github.com/maths/moodle-qtype_stack/tree/master/samplequestions

The form does have some sanitation checking of user's input, which is often a help. Pure XML does not have this, but does have other advantages, e.g. easy cut and paste between questions.  It has long been on my list to create a text-based mark up language for STACK, which abstracts as much as possible away so that over the longer term we can move closer to being able to share questions between platforms.  We are a long way from this, but it would be a start.

This system has such a markup language (https://sourceforge.net/projects/aimmath/files/latest/download?source=directory) and WebWork does, although it is very tied to the underlying Perl language.

If you have any success with this, or are able to engineer an alternative text based language, then I'd love to hear about it.

Chris