Wiki

HELP! Students Can See Eachother's Wiki's

Picture of Mark Johnson
HELP! Students Can See Eachother's Wiki's

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping for fast help.

I have a course with multiple sections that I set up "Individual Wiki's" for.  The students have been using them successfully, but one problem: they can see the Wiki's of their fellow students in their section.

I would like to set it so they can ONLY see their own Wiki - and I thought creating an "Individual Wiki" from the start would do this.

How do I make it so they can only see their own?

Thanks!

Mark 

Average of ratings: -
Picture of John Cook PhD
Re: HELP! Students Can See Eachother's Wiki's

HI Mark - I am having the same problem - wiki set to indivdual - but a student can still see every other students. I want the wiki to be private between the teacher and the student. It appears this is now not a option in 3.2?

Did you find an resolution - I have played with permissions to no avail.

From the lack of response, I assume it is not an issue for anyone else? 

Mary Cooch
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators

Hello John. I tried with an individual wiki on our School demo site school.demo.moodle.net and I could not get students to see other students' wikis. Could you perhaps try setting one up one one of our demo sites - https://moodle.org/demo/ to see if you can replicate what you are getting on your site?

Picture of John Cook PhD

Hi Mary,

Thank for your response.

Yes it is an odd problem.

Was working OK - I am using Moodle 3.2.2+ (Build: 20170331) using a template based on Boost produced by a Moodle partner for me. All environment variables are OK

I have spent a two days on this so far.

1. created a new course and put in a new wiki set to individual - when I impersonated a student user could still see the user list.

2. Imported an old wiki from Moodle 2 and it worked fine in the newly created course.

3. imported the same old wiki into a current course and had the same problem that students could still see others.

4 Crosschecked the course setting between the old and new and setting all the same.

5. Crosschecked permissions between current course and the new one and they are the same.

6 . Crosschecked the permission in the wiki and they are all the same.

7. I have done clean install on my dev server but still get the same result.

My fix at the moment is tell students that the wiki is no longer private.

Mary Cooch
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators

Please can you try on one of our demo sites to see if you can replicate it there? Also - have you tried with an actual student account, rather than by, as you say, impersonating a student? Sometimes the view is not accurate when you are not using a genuine (or test) student account.

Picture of John Cook PhD

Yes have logged is as a student as well. Under time problems at the moment so may not test on the demo server until later.

I will test when I have time with a non Boost derived template as my thoughts lies there.

Thank really appreciate

Picture of John Cook PhD

Hi Mary,

I think I have finally work out where the problem is - it is to with groups - my site defaults was for separate groups. Also the courses where set to separate groups. In the wiki you could not change this.

Once I had set the site default to no groups and then set the course to separate groups and the individual wiki to no groups then the privacy was OK - the student could then only see their wiki. If I set the individual wiki to separate groups then they can see all in that group.

Sound like a bug?

So for the time being I have set the wiki to no groups and this gets around the problem.

Any comments?

Mary Cooch

Hello. Yes , looking at the tracker it appears it has been reported MDL-52247.There is a comment there that  it actually does not make any sense to set group mode on an individual wiki, and fortunately you have now found a workaround for this; glad to hear it.

Picture of John Cook PhD

Thanks - unfortunately I do not have access to tracker  MDL-52247 but great to see it is a bug. smile