Students losing connection to server during quiz

Students losing connection to server during quiz

by Tavis Bogue -
Number of replies: 1

Hi. I am having an issue with my Moodle server. What will happen is that I will have 12-24 students taking a quiz. All of a sudden most or all will lose their connection and will not be able to access the server for a few minutes. 

This is the only error that keeps coming up on my 3.1.1 server:

[Mon Sep 12 05:08:46.211065 2016] [fcgid:warn] [pid 28341:tid 140575814629120] [client 64.58.250.130:21405] mod_fcgid: stderr: Database transaction aborted automatically in /home/tbogue/public_html/mod/quiz/processattempt.php, referer:

Any ideas?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tavis Bogue

Re: Students losing connection to server during quiz

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

This looks like the server becoming overloaded, rather than a PHP error. So, rather than looking in the logs, you need to be monitoring the server performance when the problem happens. Which resource is getting used up? It could be CPU, memory, disc i/o.

Once you know where the bottle-neck is, you can tune your server to make it perform better. The quiz should be able to handle much more than a couple of dozen simultaneous users, if the server is tuned reasonably well.