Grades for non-editing teachers (v. 3.1)

Grades for non-editing teachers (v. 3.1)

by Claude Eilers -
Number of replies: 7

Hi all.  I'm not sure whether the problem that I will describe here is a bug or there is some setting that needs to be changed. I thought I'd ask here before submitting it to the bug-tracker. Perhaps someone else can either replicate it or tell me what I'm doing wrong.

In Moodle 3.1, the grades for Quizzes are not being recorded in the grade-book when completed by a non-editing teacher. Grades are recorded for students, however, and changing someone from non-editing teacher to student and having them redo the quiz makes it so that grades are now recorded.

Can anyone explain this? or replicate?

Thanks.

In reply to Claude Eilers

Re: Grades for non-editing teachers (v. 3.1)

by Paula Clough -

An admin on your site needs to do this.  Check Site Administration> Grades>General Settings and check that graded roles includes your non-editing teacher.

Hope that helps.

cool

In reply to Paula Clough

by Claude Eilers -

Thanks, Paula.  As far as I can see, that General Settings panel allows you to include who appears on the grade-book.  But my non-editing teachers also have student roles, and thus do both appear in the grade-book.  The problem is that grades are not appearing for them for Moodle Quizzes, although grades do appear for Hot Potato Quizzes.

I set up a mock course and created two accounts: one as student, one with both student-role and non-editing teacher role.  The course has a hot-pot and a moodle quiz.  I logged in as each in turn and did the quizzes.  This is the result.

The non-editing teacher did that quiz, but the mark doesn't appear.

This must be a bug, no?

by Paula Clough -

Did you try adding the grading for the non editing teachers?  I am not sure about 3.1 as I am still finding new things in it, but in older versions when a user had more than one role a course, the system would count the role higher  in the hierarchy and so somethings would not work in the student role because the higher role counter acted it.

cool 

In reply to Paula Clough

by Claude Eilers -

Thanks, Paula and Emma.  Yes, I made non-editing teachers gradeable, but their grades are still not appearing.  It's odd that the grades of Hotpot quizzes are being recorded, though quizzes are not. I'm pretty sure this is a bug.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Oh, I think I know what it might be...you need to remove the preview quiz permission from the non-editing teacher role.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Claude Eilers -

Preview quizzes

That fixed it Emma!  Removing the preview quiz permission from the non-editing teacher role means that grades are recorded.

(In case someone else finds this question, that permission is found at Course Administration > Users > Permissions > Define Roles > [Non-Editing Teacher] > Edit > Preview Quizzes)

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I think that you could fix this by making the non-editing teacher role a gradeable role.  Then you would not need to give them the student role.  This did change at one point - you used to be able to give people both roles but now it does not work as well as it used to.