Upgraded from 1.9 to 3.1 but now completely lost!

Upgraded from 1.9 to 3.1 but now completely lost!

by Debbie Kay -
Number of replies: 3

Hi

I thought I had successfully upgraded from 1.9.4 to 3.1 but am now not sure as things do not seem to work as expected!

e.g. in 1.9.4 when I switch role to student in a course, the Admin block only shows 'my profile' in it, but when I switch role to Student in 3.1, the Admin block in the same course shows '

Surely when viewing as a Student, I should not be able to access question bank to add new questions!

I also tried to hide the navigation block from Students by removing them from the list in Navigation block >edit >permissions, but though Student disappears from the allowed list, when I switch to view as Student, the navigation block is still visible.

Is this an issue with M3, or my upgrade I wonder?

Or do I have to re define roles permissions after upgrade?

I am completely lost now as the whole UI is SO different, any suggestions appreciated!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Debbie Kay

Re: Upgraded from 1.9 to 3.1 but now completely lost!

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I can't say if your upgrade went ok or not but one thing you could try is to go to Site administration >Users>Permissions >Define roles, click on the Student role and then click the Reset button. That way your student role will be reset to its default settings.

Also check if you have any system roles assigned in Site administration>Users>Permissions>Assign system roles .

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Debbie Kay -

Hi Mary

Many thanks for your reply and apologies I had to take a break from this.

I have tried resetting Student role = no change. When I switch to view as Student, I can still access question bank etc.

In Assign system roles, there are just Manager and Course Creator roles showing, but both show no users have the role assigned to them.

I am going to start again with the migration and upgrade and test at each stage to see when/if this issue happens again or if it was an upgrade 'hiccup'!

Thanks again!

In reply to Debbie Kay

by Debbie Kay -

An update on this issue as I am upgrading again and checking for 'odd behaviour' at each stage.

I can confirm that once upgraded to 2.2.11, the issue with being able to see and add questions etc happens when logged in as Admin and using the 'switch role to.. Student' function.

When logged in using a test Student account, it does NOT give access to the question bank etc.

Whilst this is good to know, it does mean the Switch role to Student (which I used often after making changes to check the view for students) cannot be used as it shows things which are NOT visible when logged in as a student.

I might have thought this a bug, but cannot find anyone else reported the same issue.

I guess I will just have to learn to do without Switch role to... for now.

Onwards!