Getting the H5P plugin on to the MoodleCloud

Getting the H5P plugin on to the MoodleCloud

by Frode Petterson -
Number of replies: 15

Is there any interest in trying to get the H5P plugin available on moodlecloud.com sites?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Frode Petterson

Re: Getting the H5P plugin on to the MoodleCloud

by Marcus Green -
Core developers колдонуучунун сүрөтү Particularly helpful Moodlers колдонуучунун сүрөтү Plugin developers колдонуучунун сүрөтү Testers колдонуучунун сүрөтү

I suspect there is interest, but I am not anticipating any action for a quite a while. H5P is rather lovely, but it is very new, and even newer for Moodle. There is also the issue that much of it is client side which could be rather interesting if people use it for high stakes assessment.

In reply to Marcus Green

by Matt Bury -
Plugin developers колдонуучунун сүрөтү

MoodleCloud, AFAIK, is the standard/default distro of modules in Moodle; no extra bells and whistles. Wouldn't H5P need to be accepted and supported as part of the standard distro to be on MoodleCloud or are there other considerations?

Rather than being yet another summative assessment tool, which H5P can be used for, I see it as more of a replacement for other presentation formats, e.g. Flash and multimedia slideshows, which often include in-line quizzes and games in an attempt to improve students' recall of the content. I don't consider any of the modules in the standard Moodle distro as serving that function particularly well (e.g. Quiz and Lesson modules) and this is where H5P excels.

I think the main usability issue with the H5P Moodle module, i.e. authoring content, still needs to be resolved. At the moment, users have to use another platform to author content rather than doing it all in Moodle. This replicates the editing problems with using SCORM packages.

It'll be interesting to see where this goes.

In reply to Matt Bury

by Marcus Green -
Core developers колдонуучунун сүрөтү Particularly helpful Moodlers колдонуучунун сүрөтү Plugin developers колдонуучунун сүрөтү Testers колдонуучунун сүрөтү

You are right about MoodleCloud being an almost stock delivery of Moodle core but H5P now has editing technology right there in the Moodle plugin, which is rather impressive. For me it has the advantage over SCORM of not being SCORM smile. I think it would be possible to link from a MoodleCloud account using LTI to a site with H5P.

In reply to Marcus Green

by Matt Bury -
Plugin developers колдонуучунун сүрөтү

Ah, that's good news. Last time I looked, a few weeks ago, we still had to create content in Wordpress or Drupal. For me, in line content creation and editing in Moodle for H5P is a must. Nice to see that the projects moving forwards in leaps and bounds smile

In reply to Matt Bury

by Marcus Green -

Yes, when I first looked at it you had to create the content in another tool (I used Wordpress). There is talk of adding server side functionality to some of it which would make it more attractive for summative assessment. Norways http://joubel.com/ are doing some awesome work.

In reply to Matt Bury

by Mike Churchward -
Core developers колдонуучунун сүрөтү Plugin developers колдонуучунун сүрөтү Testers колдонуучунун сүрөтү

Not quite standard, no. There are seven additional plugins identified on the plugin screen:

Screenshot of Moodlecoud plugin admin.

In reply to Mike Churchward

by Marcus Green -

All but two plugins appear to be MoodleCloud specific so almost stock is a reasonable description. Actually I have never seen local_filestorage previously, so maybe that is MoodleCloud specific.

In reply to Marcus Green

by Tim Hunt -
Core developers колдонуучунун сүрөтү Documentation writers колдонуучунун сүрөтү Particularly helpful Moodlers колдонуучунун сүрөтү Peer reviewers колдонуучунун сүрөтү Plugin developers колдонуучунун сүрөтү

Moodle HQ have done a hack so that moodledata/filedir can be stored in the cloud, rather than in a local filesystem.

However, for reasons I don't understand, they have not shared that code with the community. Well, they tried to share part of it in MDL-46375, but mixed up the useful changes with a lot of irrelevant class renaming, and so the integrators rejected it (rightly IMHO). Since then nothing has happened sad

by John Bennett -

I'd love to have it available there,

by Jamie Billingham -

Yes!

In reply to Jamie Billingham

by Ruan Botes -

Hi 

I saw the comments on H5P is quite dates. Is the H5P plugin available for Moodle cloud yet? I have used a range of different tools i.e quizzes and so forth but I like what H5P can do with those. 

If this is available could someone tell me how I get it onto my Moodle? I have checked the plugin and I cannot see any H5P on there. 

Thanks

In reply to Ruan Botes

by Germán Valero -
Documentation writers колдонуучунун сүрөтү Particularly helpful Moodlers колдонуучунун сүрөтү Plugin developers колдонуучунун сүрөтү Testers колдонуучунун сүрөтү Translators колдонуучунун сүрөтү

The H5P (version 1.7 2018012200) plugin is installed by default in the free (Moodle 3.3.5) sites available at gnomio.com !

From https://www.gnomio.com/ plugins description:

"For security reasons you are not allowed to install your own themes and plugins nor have access to the database or the filesystem but feel free to suggest anything you like and we will review it. If it is of general interest and well maintained we will install it for all users.

WARNING: In your site you can find many some additional Moodle plugins, but most of them are initially disabled. If you decide to activate and use any of them you must understand that these plugins are not official components maintained by Moodle.org. The developers could abandon them at any time.

After an update you may discover that an unofficial plugin is no longer available or it does not work properly.

You can distinguish which are the unofficial plugins by looking at
    Home / ▶︎ Site administration / ▶︎ Plugins / ▶︎ Plugins overview "

In my free site there it showed:

gnomio installed additional plugins

I would love more the free Moodle Cloud hosting if it had more freely available additional plugins !
In reply to Germán Valero

by Ruan Botes -
Hi

Thanks for your reply. So just to check I have H5P plugin already in my

moodle cloud sight?

Thanks

Ash

On 20 March 2018 at 18:20, Germán Valero (via Moodle.org) <
In reply to Ruan Botes

by Mary Cooch -
Documentation writers колдонуучунун сүрөтү Moodle HQ колдонуучунун сүрөтү Particularly helpful Moodlers колдонуучунун сүрөтү Testers колдонуучунун сүрөтү Translators колдонуучунун сүрөтү

No you don't. While they are both free packages where all the set up work is done for you, MoodleCloud and gnomio are different. MoodleCloud is the official hosting package from Moodle HQ, whereas gnomio is managed by another company (I don't know whom.)

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Ruan Botes -
Hi Mary

I see, thanks for your response.

Ash

On 21 March 2018 at 01:43, Mary Cooch (via Moodle.org) <noreply@moodle.org>