Upgrading from 2.8.1 to 3.0.2

Upgrading from 2.8.1 to 3.0.2

by Leon Landels -
Number of replies: 3

I'm currently running Moodle on the version 2.8.1, however I've noticed there is an option to upgrade to version 3.0.2

I have lots of course data currently uploaded onto the site and was wondering if updating the site could risk loosing any of this data?

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Leon Landels

Re: Upgrading from 2.8.1 to 3.0.2

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

In general, no (not from 2.8.1 to 3.0.2 as I recall.) But I would play it safe by backing up the database, moodledata folder, and even your moodle folder before doing the upgrade.

I also run an experimental moodle.  I always update my experimental moodle before updating my production moodle.

Maybe others here on Moodle.org will provide their thoughts about the upgrade from 2.8 to 3.0.

What is stopping you from upgrading to 3.1.1+?

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Leon Landels -

Thanks for your message Rick,

Could you please advise me on how to create a second (experimental) Moodle site?

And yes, there is no reason why I couldn't upgrade to 3.1.1 (I just wasn't aware of it before!).

Leon

In reply to Leon Landels

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Here are the general steps:

1) Create a second database, such as moodleexp.

2) Create a second moodledata folder, such as moodledataexp.

3) Download your desired version of moodle.

4) Unpack it into its own folder, calling it something like moodleexp.

5) Go to it in your browser, such as www.yourdomain.com/moodleexp.  Let it install itself.

Eventually, move your production database data into the experimental database, and your production moodledata into your experimental moodledataexp folder.