Publish as LTI tool - Duplicates of the same user

Publish as LTI tool - Duplicates of the same user

by Learning Science Ltd -
Number of replies: 2

Hi,

I have a course setup on my moodle site which is sharing content using the publish as LTI tool. Next i have a blackboard site setup which i am using as a consumer of the lti links. On this site i have a student user which im using to access the lti content, however even though I am using the same student (with same first, last name and email address) to access the different lti links, my moodle site is creating a separate user for each lti link that i click on so i end up with many duplicates of the same user. 

I have checked that "Allow accounts with same email" is set to no under authentication settings and also tried to create user accounts with the same email manually and by uploading a csv. Both fail as they should, so why does creating accounts using lti still work?

Is anyone else experiencing the same issue? or is this just a setting that i have missed somewhere?

I am using Moodle 3.1.1+ (Build: 20160817).

Thanks,

Josh

Attachment Screenshot.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Learning Science Ltd

Re: Publish as LTI tool - Duplicates of the same user

by Tristan Roscoe -

I'm running into a similar problem although a different use case.

I'm using the external tool activity to link to a seperate course (Published as an LTI tool) on the same site.

I get duplicate everything except the authentication method is LTI and the username is generated.

According to the Moodle 3.1 Overview video up on YouTube @

Check it out at 1:34. 

"You can now publish any course or course activity as an industry standard LTI tool. Which allows to include it within other moode courses, even if they are on other sites. Or even courses on other platforms."

This is a new feature so there is a good chance it might have a few bugs in it but duplicate users seems like something that should have been caught... 

Learning Science Ltd... maybe try setting the authencation method for your original user on Moodle as LTI and then click on the LTI link from blackboard. I don't think that really solves you problem but would be a good step towards troubleshooting the problem.

Still, if anyone else knows anything further to help either of us. Please chime in.

In reply to Learning Science Ltd

Re: Publish as LTI tool - Duplicates of the same user

by John Okely -

Are these links in the same course or different courses?

If they are in different courses, they will be in different contexts and by design we need to create a different user. Here's why: if you have one course where a user is a teacher and another where the same user is a student, then what role will their account have? They are in a different context so must be treated differently.

I created an issue on tracker for you: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-55905 But please modify it with more details if you can. I don't have a full grasp on the problem you are experiencing yet.

This might be because blackboard and moodle give a different context for different instances or it might be a problem in the provider code, but we can work that out while working on https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-55905