Deploying SCORM in Moodle | problems with responsiveness

Re: Deploying SCORM in Moodle | problems with responsiveness

by Derek Chirnside -
Number of replies: 7

Just curious how you guys are getting on with Moodle + SCORM deployment.

Any progress??

[Denis: do you even exist here now?  I get an error when I click on your profile]

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Amy Groshek -
Hi Derek,

You might want to create an account at tracker.moodle.org and start following the SCORM component. That will give you a better idea of what's in the works, what progress has been made, and what discussion has been had around particular features and improvements.

Helen already provided the link to the issue resulting from this thread: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-46563

And you can also filter for any open tasks associated with the SCORM component.
In reply to Amy Groshek

by Derek Chirnside -

Thanks Amy, I have checked out this.  The last activity on MDL-46563 was Feb 24th, and it seems to have stalled.  Ron asked a question,and it has kind of stopped.

I think there is enough code in the tracker item to get a workable plugin.  It just needs leadership, I wondered if the MUA may be interested, Dan probably is still the best option to work with.  But I am an amateur.  

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

If you want to use SCORM on mobile devices the best option these days is to use the Mobile App - this is a much more stable/reliable way to use SCORM on a mobile device as the SCORM is downloaded to the mobile device and then the mobile app uses it's own built-in SCORM player and then passes the tracking data back to Moodle when connectivity is available instead of using the SCORM player on the web server. SCORM is inherently fragile and mobile devices typically have intermittent access to internet which is not something that SCORM can cope with, the Mobile app compensates for this and doesn't use the same frame design as runing scorm through a web-browser on the phone so should also do better with displaying the SCORM as well.

At some point I might be tempted to provide a way to block users from accessing SCORM on a mobile device through a web-browser and force them to use the Mobile app instead.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Mathew Gancarz -
Picture of Core developers

Hi Dan, I would urge some discussion before something like that is really moved forward though. Right now for example we don't use the Moodle Mobile option as our students only take a course with us for a few weeks. I haven't explored it, but my hunch is they would not want to install an app specifically to take a single course.

Also have to think about how we would define a 'mobile device'? Phones sure, but what about a tablet with cellular connectivity? Or laptop running off a phone hotspot?

I wonder if it would be possible to have similar functionality in the web-page based SCORM by using service workers or some similar mechanism without requiring installing a dedicated app?

Yes, I realize it would require some significant development/funding possibly which my org would not be able to provide, but I don't want to see the web-based version of SCORM to be only useful for non-responsive, legacy SCORM packages.

In reply to Mathew Gancarz

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Mobile device == anything not on fixed/wired network and on wifi/3G/4G etc... As you know, SCORM wasn't designed to cope with intermittent network connectivity. If you want to reliably use SCORM on wifi or other wireless technologies the best/most stable option is to use the official Moodle Mobile app (or even the desktop app). We can't really "fix" this in the web-page based SCORM player.

If you don't want to use an app and want reliable Learning content delivery on mobile devices you really need to encourage people to stop using SCORM and go with something else like the built-in Lesson module or more modern tools like hvp.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Mathew Gancarz -
Picture of Core developers

Thank you Dan. I realize that yes, you are very limited in what can be done with the web based version and I hate to be a pain in the ass by continuing to ask... but... couldn't atleast in theory, something like a ServiceWorker API be used for doing the background/intermittent connectivity sync that the moodle mobile app does now? I think this is one of the use cases it explicitly was designed for, per: https://developers.google.com/web/updates/2015/12/background-sync 

We have been using hvp a bit and I do see what you are saying, but I don't see SCORM being replaced by these tools until another inter-operability standard arises or we can easily send/direct learners between different learning platforms content.

The reason we still use SCORM is primarily because of the portability requirements of being able to move/trade/sell courses between institutions. There are still so many learning platform vendors out there and SCORM is the only reliable way I know of to get an entire 'package' of content between them in a reliable way. I am aware of other solutions to this that don't involve us sending zip files to another org to upload to their LMS, but nothing that doesn't require IT to be involved to test Single SIgn on, etc and do setup.

In reply to Mathew Gancarz

by Dan Marsden -

In theory we could do stuff to improve the reliability but the ROI would be hard to justify - it would also be hard to tangibly define how much of an improvement you would get. I understand the benefits/attractiveness of SCORM for organisations that build content and sell it to multiple organisations but if the content is just for one org they would probably get a better ROI using tools within the LMS such as the lesson activity in Moodle or other tools like HVP over using something like Captivate/Articulate to develop the content.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)