How to upload .exe file without using SCORM/IMS to Moodle

How to upload .exe file without using SCORM/IMS to Moodle

by Nagesh Japa -
Number of replies: 6

I have content called "9th-Maths-Area of Trapezium.exe"  I would like to upload it into moodle. Can anyone please help me that how to upload .exe file to moodle without using scorm/IMS.

Thank you.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nagesh Japa

Re: How to upload .exe file without using SCORM/IMS to Moodle

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

This is how:

https://docs.moodle.org/31/en/File_system_repository

But, an .exe (executable) won't be 'played' by your Moodle IF you link to that file inside a course.   Users will be downloading to run locally - which if fine if all your users are Windows machines and do not access your Moodle with any smart device/phone - like iPhone/Androids.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Nagesh Japa -

Thank u Ken Sir

First of all sorry for my English 

Actually, I have video content with .exe extension. So, it should not download by clicking on it, it should be played there only by clicking on it. 

In reply to Nagesh Japa

by Just H -

It's not just video if it's an .exe file and if you upload it your students will have to download it to play.

If you want them to be able to click and play on your site you need to investigate exactly what it is and look into converting it into a compatible format.

In reply to Nagesh Japa

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

You cannot expect a website to run an .exe.  It just doesn't work that way...you need to pull the video out and embed in it a page or on your course page.

In reply to Nagesh Japa

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

There is an application meant to use on PC/workstation that develops SCORM pakages called eXe.

Is that what you used  to create the SCORM/IMS package you are trying to upload to Moodle?

To a PC (and to any other operating system that has a browser) a web link to a file that has the extension .exe in it, will not play it but download it.

If you use FireFox, go to browser Preferences, then select Applications and you'll see the mapping and actions FireFox is supposed to take when clicking on a link to any file type. You won't find one for .exe.

Matter of fact, it's very dangerous to force an in-experienced user into making a technical decision like that.   Many moons ago had to help a Windows Server admin clean up a mess ... server op had used Netscape browser to download an .exe installer for some software for the server.   Not paying attention to the prompt that ask OP what to do with the .exe file, OP associated any .exe file with Netscape.   That changed the entire registry of the server ... any .exe was from then on associated with Netscape.   Server, when rebooted, couldn't function ... every .exe that was supposed to be a Micrsoft daemon or something server related tried to launch Netscape.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Nagesh Japa -

Thank you Ken, Just H and Emma for your responses.
As suggested, I will look into the exe files and try to extract the videos. Also, thank you Ken for security related tips.