Implementing backup strategy for local plugins

Implementing backup strategy for local plugins

by Valery Fremaux -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi all

I'm seeking some info about how could be used part of the backup/restore subsystem to provide some Moodle formatted exports of a site level local plugin.

I found an abstract class backup_local_plugin but seems having been never used and no real info on how the local backup process should be done.

Most of the tricky part is that local plugins may often (this is the case) use site level data (similar to question base) and thus cannot be driven from a course backup controller.

I'm wondering if a specialized backup plan derivated from high level abstraction could propose a similar backup/restore process behaviour refactoring locally whatever needed classes for it. At first glance it seems it could be possible as the high level abstractions provide a structural agnostic framework, but i'm not figuring me out the effort to get something working.

If some backup coding guru is wandering here, might he have an opinion about this ?

Questions already lauched : Why not simply using csv or other simple formats for export/imports ?

this is of course being examined, but the central data held by this plugin is quite complex relational data (prone to xml encoding) and moreover is attached to file assets (images, pdfs, etc) that would worth being stored into the package.

Thanks.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)