Duplicate plugin entry for 'Safe Exam Browser quiz access rule', safe_browser vs safe_exam_browser ?

Duplicate plugin entry for 'Safe Exam Browser quiz access rule', safe_browser vs safe_exam_browser ?

by Paul Lindgreen -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi. I've installed Safe Exam Browser in our development environment after a couple failed attempts, in the plugin overview page I see a duplicate entry for 'Safe Exam Browser quiz access rule'.

Safe Exam Browser quiz access rule
quizaccess_safebrowser
Standard 2014051200

Safe Exam Browser quiz access rule
quizaccess_safeexambrowser
Additional 2014111200 1.1 for Moodle 2.6+
What is the difference between quizaccess_safebrowser and quizaccess_safeexambrowser? Should they have the same title?

In my production environment which I failed to install the plugin (hanging, timeout) , I see there is still an option to enable safe exam browser integration even though the plugin was not installed, the standard quizaccess_safebrowser is there though.

Is quizaccess_safeexambrowser needed or does core moodle make the  plugin installation unnecessary now?

======environment moodle 2.7.8, windows 2008r2, iis7.5==========

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul Lindgreen

Re: Duplicate plugin entry for 'Safe Exam Browser quiz access rule', safe_browser vs safe_exam_browser ?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

quizaccess_safebrowser is an old experimental integration that was doing in Moodle core years ago, but is not very good. That is the plugin that makes you say "I see there is still an option to enable safe exam browser integration even though the plugin was not installed"

quizaccess_safeexambrowser is the new integration, which is what you should use.

(We should probably remove the old plugin from moodle core.)

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Duplicate plugin entry for 'Safe Exam Browser quiz access rule', safe_browser vs safe_exam_browser ?

by Paul Lindgreen -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I just uninstalled the SEB plugin and created a quiz that required SEB and it worked surprisingly!

Does the plugin just add new options, like the 'keys are an advanced setting' and seb download url, or is it more reliable and better performance as well?

I'll go ahead and install the plugin but I was curious about the core plugin, the only reason I raise the issue is that my plugin install failed a few times, seems alright in our development environment now, the manual install method and install from moodle.org method seemed problematic, going with simpler method of just uploading zip that was previously downloaded. Do you recommend placing moodle in Maintenance mode for plugin install?

Thanks again, the plugin is great.

In reply to Paul Lindgreen

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

The main reason for the new plugin, is that it is much more secure in how it verifies that students are really using SEB.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Samuel Witzig -

Hi Tim

If the old plugin should be removed from the core: Do you (or anybody else) have plans to integrate the "new" plugin (https://moodle.org/plugins/quizaccess_safeexambrowser) into core? 

Best,

Samuel

In reply to Samuel Witzig

by Tim Hunt -

I am reluctant to do that. There are several secure browsers in existence, and so it probably needs to be left to people to install the plugin for the browser they are using.