I cannot scroll in the overlay-menus

Re: I cannot scroll in the overlay-menus

by Gareth J Barnard -
Number of replies: 22
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Ok Kees, I'm now confused.

The original question related to the 'mycourses' menu and the title of the post is 'I cannot scroll in the overlay-menus'

And yet you are now discussing the site administration block which does have a scroll bar - red thing on the right in your screen shot - and yet you say "The "mycourses" is not the problem, scrolling is" - and yet in that menu which you now claim you cannot scroll there is a scroll bar.

In reading your words you are also implying that when the site administration menu is there and you've not expanded any of the options and yet there is more in the menu then you cannot scroll on the page?  But as the menu is docked and you think you can't scroll, you can as there is a scrill bar!  I've annotated your screen shot to illustrate this.

Whenever I shrink my screen and there are too many items to fit on the screen in that menu the scroll bar always appears.  Therefore "If the "settingmenu" is to big for one screen (there are more options than the screen can show), then I can not scroll down to get the latest menu-options." is wrong.

Attachment scrollprobleem.jpg
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Barbara Lawrence -

I am still having the problem with the My courses drop down  menu in Essential theme not displaying all courses for a user. The user logged in for the screenshot has 115 courses, but since we upgraded to Moodle 3.1 she is no longer able to scroll down the list.

I'm using Essential 3.1.1.0 (Build: 201606170)

Moodle 3.1.1+ (Build: 20160721).

Hope you can help.

Barbara

Attachment mycourses.PNG

by Kees Koopman -

Hi Gareth,

Thanks a lot for your answer.
An update of Moodle (to 3.1.2) was the solution.

Now I have left the same problem as Barbara.
I asked my provider to update the theme Essential.
I hope that will bring te solution.

Sincerely,

Kees.

In reply to Kees Koopman

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Kees,

Upgrading will not solve the problem that you and Barbara are having, at least unless you both use the 'mycoursesmax' setting I keep telling you to use please.

Kind regards,

Gareth

by Kees Koopman -

Hi Gareth,

Thank you.

Please, can you tell me where I find the option: "mycousemax"-setting in Essential 3.1.0.8.

I cannot find it.

Thanks a lot.

Kees.

In reply to Kees Koopman

by Gareth J Barnard -

"mycoursesmax" is in the "Courses menu" section of the theme "Header" settings.

by Kees Koopman -

Thank you!

That setting (0, 5, 20 or whatever) does not solve my problem.

Sorry.

Kees.

In reply to Kees Koopman

by Gareth J Barnard -

So, what do you want me to do?

Change the setting to allow 30 courses?  I think that if used with the 'mycoursesorder' setting you can get a good user interface.  Having a massive list of courses on a menu is just horrible.  There are three options with 'mycoursesorder' which gives you lots of functionality to order the courses in different ways.

If you need to look through all the courses then use the 'Dashboard' page which has lots of space.

by Barbara Lawrence -

Sorry Gareth.  I have got mycoursesmax set to 0.  We don't want to use the dashboard, because we use our Moodle front page as an Intranet.

I just want the scrollback back, like it was in Essential 2.7.9.5.2, as shown in this screenshot. Is this possible? It doesn't look horrible to me!

Kind regards

Barbara

Attachment menus2.7.9.5.2.PNG
In reply to Barbara Lawrence

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Barbara,

Would you be happy if you set 'mycoursesmax' to 20?  Or do you really need to have all courses and a scroll bar?

The snag is that its tricky as having the scrollbar means that the arrow at the top disappears making for an inconsistent interface.  That the functionality has improved in a new direction whereby the number of courses can be limited and sorted in different ways.  With the 'scrollbar' I need to think of a fixed maximum height of the menu, this means that it is not responsive, therefore would then have to be a setting or we are getting into the realms of device detection and size of display to know how large that height should be.  Everything in software is always more complex than you think.  Thoughts please?

Gareth

by Barbara Lawrence -

Hi Gareth

Unfortunately that won't work for us since a typical teacher (eg of A levels) will have 29 courses that all staff have, 20 additonal courses for English & Maths plus 55 courses they are enrolled on as a teacher.  (we have a team teacher policy where any teacher has to have a teacher role in all the courses in their team). I realise our college may be unusual in this respect but if you could do anything about it I would very much appreciate it.

I'm not sure what you mean by the arrow at the top - is it this one:

caret-right

If so I don't remember problems in the old version but maybe it's all different now...

Barbara

by Gareth J Barnard -

Oh, the attached.  I need time for this one.

Issue: https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-theme_essential/issues/773.

Attachment Untitled.png

by Barbara Lawrence -

Ah, I see -  I hadn't even noticed it was missing. In our situation, the missing arrow is a small price to pay for the ability to scroll through all courses, so really hoping you can get round this. Would Custom CSS be an option for those who aren't worried about the missing arrow?

Many thanks

Barbara

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Barbara,

Possibly, but before I spend time working that out I'm going to try and solve the problem in the first place.

G

by Kees Koopman -

Hi Gareth,

That sounds great!

Kees.

In reply to Kees Koopman

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Kees and Barbara,

Fixed in this release: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=341354.

Kind regards,

Gareth

by Kees Koopman -

YEAH! THANKS A LOT!

It works!

Great and fast.

Kind regards,

Kees.

In reply to Kees Koopman

by Barbara Lawrence -

Fabulous! Thank you very much Gareth.

by Barbara Lawrence -

Hi Gareth

I've found that between Essential versions 3.1.1.4 and 3.1.1.5, I've once again lost the scrollbar in the My Courses menu. I guess this is something to do with the introduction of the Category sub menu feature. Is there any chance of getting it back again?

Kind Regards

Barbara

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Barbara,

Unintentional if replicatable.  Does the problem happen without the sub-menu's?  Do you have a website where I can see the problem please?

G

by Kees Koopman -

Hi Gareth,

I have the same problems as Barbara. 
Does this video help you?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5QO_XQJNXKFWkR6OFd6a2FROEU/view

Under the choice "Vakpagina's" there are more items than Essential shows.

Regards, Kees.

In reply to Kees Koopman

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Kees,

Thanks.  This will be fixed in the next version.

Gareth