2. So I want to confirm that if it is possible to add a timer to individual questions, and if possible, to show it visually next to the question that is being taken? While I am on the subject of timers, if it is not possible to add a timer to each question, it is possible to add a visual global countdown timer?
3. How do I get rid of the student block quiz navigation?
4. Anyway to customize and exclude most of that information from students, like Started on, State, Comleted etc ... ?
There is a dedicated forum for the quiz module, surprisingly called Quiz https://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=737, and great documentation linked to its header.
Good to know that now you are working with Moodle. It would be nice if you could report how you solved your installation problem(s), e.g. https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=338219. Quoting the site policy "Once your problem is solved, reply to the thread, adding [Solved] to the subject line of your post and providing links to the documentation, discussion or tracker issue that helped you" https://moodle.org/mod/page/view.php?id=7080.
Good to know, thanks!
I actually want to delete my original post but delete function??
And you were not _ordered_ to shift to another forum: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=338963. It is you who wants his problems solved by others. So if you play nice, others will be nice too. http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
BTW, "a few questions" is a bad subject line. See https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Moodle.org_forums_help#Write_a_subject_line_.28discussion_topic.29_that_is_a_one-line_summary_of_your_question.
I have tidied things up a little by moving this discussion thread into the Quiz forum and deleting your post there.
I've seen people not play nice...and you're not one of them (so far).
On to answers!
- Your course settings dictate the limit for upload size. So Administration->Edit settings->Files and uploads. If your site limits upload size (I recently saw one that had a site limit of 10MB), you still may not be able to increase the file size you can upload in a course. If that is the case, you (or your admin, if that's not you) would need to increase site limits (I can't tell you how to do that because while I am an admin, I don't admin the "back end"...Danger Woman should never be allowed near that stuff...Danger Woman=me).
- In your quiz settings, you can set a general timer (Quiz->Edit Settings->Timing; enable time limit & set, attend to when time expires and if you want a grace period on submissions) for the quiz. The timer shows up in the quiz navigation block. It maintains time between sessions (I open a quiz with a 10 minute timer, answer 2 questions in 2 minutes, I close the quiz. I reopen the quiz, it remembers I already spent 2 minutes on it and it remembers I only have 8 minutes left). I don't *think* it is possible to set a per question timer (no options in my version, but I'm still on 2.8...maybe there is new hotness? Tim might weigh in). You could always set a series of quizzes which link to eachother, each with 1 question and a timer. Clunky but functional.
- You don't. You can prevent or allow course/site blocks to display but I have seen no way to remove the quiz navigation block. And really, it is useful, once you get used to it. It lets students go back to questions easily and displays the timer, if you use it.
- You can customize what info shows up in the middle block in Quiz Settings. Some, you have no control over. You choose whether it displays the attempt (which might remove everything...I'm not certain but I think that's what that does), Whether correct (gives checks), Points, Specific feedback (question settings where you give feedback for each answer and they get the feedback based on what they chose), Overall feedback (quiz setting, uses grade boundaries, based on how they did in the whole quiz--6/10, 3/5, etc), General feedback (question option, same feedback regardless of answer, per questions) and Right answer (self explanatory). The Overall feedback also displays in the quiz description page unless you shut it off. But as for start time, state, completed, etc, no you can't just turn those off if you set it to display the attempt.
Bonus: Anything I said you can't/don't do, you could probably hack into core code if you felt like it. I don't necessarily recommend this but...with time and skills, you could probably sledgehammer it. Tim Hunt knows loads more than me about quiz (me: a couple grains of salt, Tim: a huge salt shaker full to the top), what with being a developer and such, so he may have other things to add.
Thanks for your reply and sorry for the late reply. I got sidetracked for a while researching how to clone and restore my moodlesite just in case I screw it up (fourth install so far!) due to my fat fingers and slow brain. Luckily looking good so far.
1. Fixed this problem, thanks Howard. And I love dangerous women :D keeps me on my toes.
2. It's a shame there is no individual timer on each question, that would be very valuable to keep students on track and push them.
3. And it is another shame imo to have the navigation block there permanently too because it just distracts the test takers from focusing on the present question. Still I guess other moodlers may find it useful and I have different needs.
4. Thanks, now I have freed up my time with the hardware stuff, I look further into trying to customize how I like it to be. If I find Moodle overwhelming at times, I am pretty sure the students will find it ten times worst. Less is best sometimes.
And yes, hacking is an option I have considered but way over my head right now, that's another battle.
Thanks again and have a nice one!