Moodle only showing plain text with no images or theme formatting

Moodle only showing plain text with no images or theme formatting

by Kristbjorg Olsen -
Number of replies: 8

Hello,

We have Moodle 3.1

Moodle was working fine before but shows now only plain text with no images or theme formation (see image). When I put Moodle in theme designer mode it looks fine, as soon as I take it off theme designer mode it goes back to only showing text.

What I have tried is clear theme cache when theme designer mode is off and change to another theme, it does not matter which theme I use. 

This happened when I hit clear theme caches after I had changed one tiny thing in styles.css in the collapsed topics plugin (I changed the css back right away). 

Hope you can help,
Kristbjörg

Attachment theme-disappears.PNG
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kristbjorg Olsen

Re: Moodle only showing plain text with no images or theme formatting

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

I am surprised you have no answer to this yet... mmm. This usually happens when the network link is not properly formed. The Moodle is not part of the network, and needs its ip address updated. Check to ensure the ip address in the config.php file is the correct address. Off the top of my head I think it is the CFG variable "wwwroot" which should read something like 'http://your.server.[ipaddress].[orname]/moodle/' but is likely reading something like 'localhost'. It should be the same as in the server root in the httpd.config file with the Moodle directory name. I seem to recall that the CFG variable "dbhost'(?) should be aimed at the hosting address which might be something like 'http://your.server.[ipaddress].[orname]/' or the ip address. If using Linux then I think that 'localhost' should work, but check the Moodle Docs, don't take my word for it.  This is the usual problem anyway. 

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Kristbjörg Olsen -

Thank you very much for your answer Colin,

I will check this with our backend administrator. 

Best,
Kristbjörg

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Kristbjorg Olsen -

The server admin checked and in our case this was ok.

I desided to try and delete the plugin collapsed topics and then install it again, and would you believe, that solved our problem. The plugin was working perfectly though and all its settings accessible and fine but I had been tampering with its css file before this happened, although I had since put the original css file back and that didn't solve anything (I did purge all caches and clear the browser history each time). Anyway I thought I put the solution here if anyone has a similar problem.

Kristbjörg

by Jorge Silva -

Hi, Krisbjirg.

I am with the same problem.

Could you please describe how to delete and re-install the plugin you mentioned?

PS: This happend with a new and fresh install. 

Best regards,

Jorge Silva

In reply to Jorge Silva

by Colin Fraser -

Jorge, first, go to Site Admin > Plugins > Plugins overview and uninstall the plugin from there. Purge your cache here, that may or may not do much, but it will clear anything and everything you may not want out. Next, using SSH/Putty/Explorer depending on your networkOS try to open the Moodle root folder, look for the blocks folder : 

[path]/moodle/blocks 

and the plugin you want to remove should be listed there. If not, try the [path]/moodle/local folder. 

Delete the directory, and then exit your session. Return to Site Admin/Plugins/Install Plugins and follow the prompts from there. 

Uninstalling removes the plugin from the database, then removing the file from the Moodle tree ensures you have a clean copy to access, and then it is just normal Moodle admin. 

HTH 

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Colin Fraser -

Jorge, sorry, but the line: 

Delete the directory, and

is really poorly worded, that should read "Delete the plugin's directory, and..."

Sorry about that.... 

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Jorge Silva -

Hello, Colin.

Thanks for your help.

by Jorge Silva -

Problem solved to me.

I deactivated 'slash arguments' from Site Admin > Server > HTTP.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)