We never followed up on this post (sorry) - but this is what we have decided for our new browser support statement:
User guidance (will be in release notes and so on)
Moodle is compatible with any standards compliant web browser. We regularly test Moodle with the following browsers:
- Internet Explorer
- Google Chrome
For the best experience and optimum security, we recommend that you keep your browser up to date. https://whatbrowser.org
Note: Legacy browsers with known compatibility issues with Moodle 3.2:
- Internet Explorer 10 and below
- Safari 7 and below
Developers are encouraged to embrace modern web technologies when a feature has been implemented by all major vendors (Chrome/Firefox/Edge/Safari). We encourage our users to run on up to date browsers, developers should focus the bulk of their attention on supporting these users when implementing new functionality.
Questions to ask, when deciding can I use 'feature-x'?
- What is the impact of this feature not being available?
- If it breaks the site, you must ensure it is available in firefox/chrome releases over the last 1y and Safari/IE releases not mentioned in our compatibility issues
- If it's just 'nice to have' cosmetic issue you do not need to be strict
- Is it supported by all major vendors on all platforms?
- If not: You can't use this feature yet