Custom moodle mobile app

Custom moodle mobile app

by zahili zahili -
Number of replies: 10

Dear Sir,

We want to do custom mobile app but we do not know which folder should we choose whether https://github.com/moodlehq/moodlemobile2 or https://github.com/moodlehq/moodlemobile-phonegapbuild. Which one the latest. We just want to add site url and change the theme color.

If that one the latest how to compile that thing. Must we use https://build.phonegap.com or just use ionic serve. I try compile using ionic but it display blank page and in the console log says error 404. I install ionic 2 not ionic.

TQ in advance.

regards
Mohamad Zahili Bin Ramly

Average of ratings: -
In reply to zahili zahili

Re: Custom moodle mobile app

by Juan Leyva -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
In reply to Juan Leyva

by zahili zahili -

Tq juan. It works now

In reply to zahili zahili

by Mohd Azrin Ibrahim -
Assalamualaikum zahili,

Can we share detail about this issue. I wan't to know, how to setup proper moodle mobile. Please help me

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Martin H -
Well I exactly have the same question and the link you provided seems to be obsolete. It says:

Warning: This page is no longer in use. The information contained on the page should NOT be seen as relevant or reliable.

In reply to Martin H

by Juan Leyva -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

Unfortunately our core team do not have the resources here to help people use the open source code version (this include maintain all the development documentation update). We provide a service where we can customise the app for anyone who needs it including the Push notifications (Airnotifier) service management. This service helps fund the improvement of the app in general: https://moodle.com/mobileapp/

In any case, there are several developers in this forum that created custom version of the app, you could always request help from the community.

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Martin H -

Thank you, Juan, for your reply.

I totally understand that maintaining documents is a time-consuming task and needs a lot of efforts and time that is preferred to be spent on the actual development.

I have a little concern and really appreciate if you or anyone from the core team can elaborate a bit more. The Custom Mobile app creation service that Moodle HQ offers is surely a valuable service but is it going to threaten the availability of the Moodle App source code to the public in any way in future?

You are right about the existence of developers with significant achievements with Moodle Mobile App. However, there are many other developers on the other hand, that need a little help to start so that they can contribute to the development of the app and maybe in near future you would have enough contributions from the wider community to give you enough time to take care of maintaining docs. I believe this is happening for the Moodle code itself and there are many non-HQ contributors that raise bugs, provide patches to fix bugs, propose new features and sometimes provide patches to implement their proposal. I don't see this happening for the mobile app though.

Obviously, I don't have enough information about what's going on as you have and I might be 100 percent wrong. But I think that Moodle is depriving itself of potential contributions by not maintaining the development documents. It is worth to consider that many people that are involved in Moodle development in any way do not have Cordova development background. Many of them are experienced PHP developers, but they need some help to start riding a new horse.

In reply to Martin H

by Juan Leyva -

Hi Martin,

we'll be maintaining the developer docs and the upgrade.txt file in the mobile app source code with changes that may affect developers.

But, honestly, we have limited resources so we can't support or provide any additional documentation for people creating custom apps.

Regarding contributions, we haven't received much, but we've received more than expected. Developing for the mobile app usually requires a good understanding of Moodle and a good knowledge of the technologies used in the mobile app, and that's not easy.

In brief: the Mobile app documentation (both users and developers) will be keep updated but not tutorials or specific documentation for creating custom apps.

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Laurent Kayembe -

Hi Juan,

I have been having a lot of trouble with the customization of moodle mobile app. I have followed all the instructions on the docs but I did not succeed to get it right. Please help, below is the link to my github:

https://github.com/LaurentKay/bloomACA.git

I am using the android branch. Please see if I am missing anything.

Thanks

In reply to Juan Leyva

by waddah adil -

hello

i am trying to customize moodle mobile app following above link but i stop in the part that said 

• Copy all the code inside the www/ in your forked repository directory to this new repo/branch.
  • Also copy the /resources directory from the ionic project to a new /resources directory in the phonegap build repository
Best
Average of ratings: Useful (1)