Setting Moodle upload file size to over 20M

Setting Moodle upload file size to over 20M

by Rick Dennis -
Number of replies: 6

We have someone wanting to upload a 50M mp4 video file to Moodle.

We already raised the setting to 20M in the past.

How high can this setting go? Can we raised it to 100M?

Will this cause at problems with Moodle?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rick Dennis

Re: Setting Moodle upload file size to over 20M

by Matthias Giger -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Apart from taking up a lot of space, there shouldn't be an immediate problem. However you might run into trouble later on.

• When a lot of users try do access the file at the same time, it might affect your sever (depending on how potent it is).
  • You might have problems to restore a backup of your course if the size of the course is bigger than the maximal upload limit in PHP.

When we deal with video files we normally store them externally and just put a link into Moodle.

In reply to Matthias Giger

by Rick Dennis -

My understanding was to host the video files on YouTube and then add code to the webpage to show them inside of Moodle. I had set that up for the user and also gave them detailed instructions on how to embed the YouTube videos, etc...... I am not sure why they are now doing it another way? I am not going to worry about it. I will go along with how ever they want to do it. Less arguments that way.

Thanks.

In reply to Rick Dennis

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

For the past four or five years I have had mine set to 256MB without any problems. If I remember correctly, you will also probably need to adjust your timeout setting to allow the time for bigger uploads. You also want to make sure that you don't let people get "upload happy" and use up all your hard drive space.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Rick Dennis -

Al,

I know where the setting is to increase the allowable file size.

But where is the timeout setting you are talking about?

What did you change your setting to, to allow smooth operation?

In reply to Rick Dennis

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

The timeout was two php settings in php.ini.

max_execution_time

max_input_time

Set them to what you think you'll need. At the time, I had a fairly slow link to my server so I set both of mine to 600, which equates to 10 minutes. I forget what the original setting was, but after the change, I no longer experienced any timeouts.