Moodle 3.1 "Downloading All Assignments Submission" as a zip has folders now

Moodle 3.1 "Downloading All Assignments Submission" as a zip has folders now

by Francisco Nieto -
Number of replies: 11

Hi, 

We have upgraded to Moodle 3.1.1+ (Build: 20160817) and some teachers are pointing me out that when they are downloading all the submissions from assignments, the zip file comes with each individual file inside of its own folder. In previous Moodle versions, the zip files will show only the files. 

capture

I do not know if this change was intentionally, but the behavior has created slow workflow for the teachers since they were able to get to the file previously with less clicks. 

Should I report this as an issue?

Thanks

Francisco 

Average of ratings: Useful (5)
In reply to Francisco Nieto

Re: Moodle 3.1 "Downloading All Assignments Submission" as a zip has folders now

by Dave Balch -

Hi Francisco,

This was a deliberate change in 3.1, so that the assignment file name need not change. See https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-52489 for more details.

HTH,
Dave.

In reply to Dave Balch

Re: Moodle 3.1 "Downloading All Assignments Submission" as a zip has folders now

by Jeff Campbell -

Hi Dave,

I would echo the comments of Francisco.  In previous versions of Moodle, I did not think there was an issue with the file names when downloading all the files in a zipped folder.  I would simply open the submitted file, provide my feedback on it, and save it with the same file name.  Those files would upload very nicely back in to Moodle with minimal effort.  It is an annoying task to download a folder of folders to work through, so I would really recommend this feature be reversed.

Thanks,

Jeff

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Jeff Campbell

by Tonia Malone -

Greetings,

I also agree. I have faculty complaining about the additional workload to open all the folders. It has added more time and headache to the process. The file name change was more excepted. Can this be changed back?

Thank you,

Tonia Malon

Cal Poly, SLO, CA.

In reply to Tonia Malone

by marc oehlman -

I'll chime is here as well from the CSU - clicks matter and adding what would seem like an innocuous change such as this makes our end users VERY grumpy. I'm not seeing what was 'broken' in the standard file download.

Thanks

Marc

CSU Monterey Bay

In reply to marc oehlman

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Just noting that this is being worked on here, for those interested/affected: MDL-56022

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Donna Love -

Thank you for that information, Mary!   Is there a global setting to make "no" the default setting for Download submissions in folders in v. 3.1?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Donna Love

by Ruth Andrews -

Did you get a reply or manage to resolve how to make 'no' the default setting?  We are on V.3.2.2 and I can't find any information regarding how to change the default. 

In reply to Ruth Andrews

by Nicolas Eilbaum -

Hi - I'm still struggling with how to download all submissions into one folder (the way it used to be). Does anyone know if that's still a possibility? Thank you very much for your help!

In reply to Nicolas Eilbaum

by Ruth Andrews -

Have a look a this tracker issue https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-56022.  I'm on a more recent Moodle version 3.2.2 and there is a checkbox at the bottom of the grading table for the assignment under options where can select or deselect the folder option when downloading the submissions.   I don't know if this is available in the version of 3.1 you have, but the tracker issue above is specific to 3.1 so may help.

In reply to Ruth Andrews

by Csaba Gloner -

The checkbox is great but it would be also good to have a global setting for this as currently this seems to be always activated by default.

In reply to Csaba Gloner

Ang: Re: Moodle 3.1 "Downloading All Assignments Submission" as a zip has folders now

by Anders Holm-Pedersen -

Did they make a global setting?